How to install Windows 32-bit version in my surface pro?

Anonymous
2013-05-09T13:44:46+00:00

I have a surface. But it pre-installed windows 8 Pro 64-bit. I don't want to use 64-bit software, so I wanna install a new 32-bit Windows 8 on my surface Pro. But when I boot from my installing media, I find that surface can't get in to installing screen... I feel bad about it, who can tell me how to install Windows 8 32-bit in my surface?

Surface | Surface Pro | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-06-05T03:16:39+00:00

Sorry, but I think you're SOL.  My understanding of it is that UEFI has to have the same architecture as the OS you're trying to run.  The Surface Pro UEFI is 64-bit, and so you can only run a 64-bit OS on there.   

Unfortunately, the Surface also does not have the "Legacy Boot" option to emulate a BIOS like many other PCs have.

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-05-10T14:12:09+00:00

I said this once but I'll say it again: you can install x86/32 bit software on a 64 bit version of Windows. Just download and install the 32 bit version of Office. Your key will work for both versions...

Also 64 bit Office works with tons of other applications just fine. The better option is to contact those software vendors to see if they have an update to provide Office 64 bit support. I suggest you do that if Office is the issue.

You will not solve this issue by installing 32 bit Windows. If you want a quick solution, install 32 bit Office.

Your statement regarding memory/RAM for the Surface Pro is a little absurd as well. 4GB is not "too short." You're going way off topic here. 4GB is perfectly capable of running Windows 64 bit. Heck, you can only use 3GB max with a 32 bit OS.

Microsoft does not consider this a problem because it is a fact that 32 bit OSes are on the way out. Anyone still using 32 bit is doing so because of a third party vendor requiring it for some ridiculous reason or that vendor's unwillingness to provide updates for 64 bit support.

For your initial question, it seems you are actually wanting to use x86/32 bit Office. This is the solution: install the 32 bit Office and your "other applications" will work fine.

Please mark as answered.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-08-07T02:08:03+00:00

    Most Window 7 32 Bit software should run on the PRO, however, any accompanied devise drivers MAY not.

    If it doesn't... turn on Hyper-V, which is MS virtual machine, and install any version of Windows 7 and the programs there. There still may be a slight chance there is issue with some drivers trying to use the device hardware.

    Try it... let us know your results.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-08-07T01:54:06+00:00

    So to us.   We get some old software that before  run under win7 32bit.    As we try to install into  win8 ,  it could not run.   We can't  install win8 32 bit, also win7 32 in surface.  How could we do?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-06-04T10:09:02+00:00

    Odd I tried multiple 32 bit images and they just get ignored at boot up and as soon as I try a 64 bit version it works immediately

    I Tried Hyper V and it allows me to install windows8 32bit but can only use hardware that the surface has installed drivers for, So don't get the option to install 32bit drivers

     Andy

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments