Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-30T14:25:40+00:00

    I know MSFT EE's are on the forum.  I also know we are listening, take pride in the direction the company is heading, and more than anything want the issues resolved.  Apologies if anyone feels ignored.  While I don't directly work on the SP4 team I do have a SP4 that has a similar issue and am raising the concern / thread internally.  I know it may "feel" like at some points we are not listening, rest assured that we are.  I understand the frustration after paying your hard earned money on a product, to have issues, so your rants are justified. 

    Sincerely... a caring MSFT EE.

    Chess, appreciate you chiming in here. I think it's great you are doing some prodding internally, and I'm sure we would all appreciate if you can push that as hard as you can. If MS is truly following this, it's a terrible call to be silent observers. Acknowledgement of the issue is step one, and if the fix is a work in progress with nothing definitive yet, ok, but we need to know it's something that will be fixed and not skipped over as focus shift to SP5. Thanks.

    Tweet: #SurfacePro4 #nowake

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-30T14:21:04+00:00

    hmm, thanks. I guess we are grateful for crumbs :)

    What is an EE?

    Personally I gave up ages ago as every time I let it sleep if fails. I have created a CTRL-ALT H desktop shortcut for hibernate. At least it is safe if not ideal.

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-30T14:13:01+00:00

    I know MSFT EE's are on the forum.  I also know we are listening, take pride in the direction the company is heading, and more than anything want the issues resolved.  Apologies if anyone feels ignored.  While I don't directly work on the SP4 team I do have a SP4 that has a similar issue and am raising the concern / thread internally.  I know it may "feel" like at some points we are not listening, rest assured that we are.  I understand the frustration after paying your hard earned money on a product, to have issues, so your rants are justified. 

    Sincerely... a caring MSFT EE.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-30T04:19:52+00:00

    What irritates me the most is Microsoft just ignoring this thread on their own help forum. I could live with the sleep issue if MS would just admit they have a problem, apologized, and assured us they are working on it. Instead, they mark this thread as "Answered" and ignore us. Why? It's pretty obvious. The press has completely ignored us as well. MS tells them it's fixed, and every journalist just accepts it? Or, is it possible that MS is just buying enough advertising that everyone is happy to ignore the issue? Being a little familiar with how magazines work, I'd have to guess that's the real reason the press is ignoring this. 

    I know Microsoft employees are on this forum, they still answer unrelated threads. Microsoft clearly knows how unhappy we are, but if they ignore us, the press will too, and they can still sell SP4s to the unknowing masses. In the short term, that's probably the most profitable strategy. Long term though, I don't understand why they are so willing to completely alienate their best customers. Are they really quite that stupid? I guess we all enable this behavior, as we have stayed Windows users for years in spite of the fact that Microsoft NEVER releases a stable OS on their first release. Vista was so bad that they had to name vista.1 Windows 7. Same with Windows 8 and 10. It should have been no surprise that the SP4 was released with as many problems as it has. The SP4 shows great promise, but when will it be a reliable device for the majority of it's users? I believed MS in December when they said they were going to fix it, now I really don't. I hope I'm wrong, I really do. But they have said NOTHING and given ZERO reassurances since the failed 2-17 update. 

    I should have returned this POS in December when I still could. Instead I believed MS and now I'm stuck. I urge everyone--who still can--to return the SP4 for a refund. I am convinced that MS will only fix it's problems if they get hit hard in the pocket book.  I am so not a litigious person, but if there has ever been righteous cause for a class action lawsuit, this is it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments