I am waiting for someone to advise success connecting EPSON ES-50 portable scanner to SURFACE 7.
Scanners that work with Microsoft ARM processer
I bought a Microsoft Surface Laptop last week. Got everything set up and then realized my ScanSnap scanner was not working with the new laptop. I called them and they said none of their scanners work with the ARM Processer in my laptop. Does anyone know what brand of scanners DO work with the ARM processer??? This is a HUGE problem for me. I am almost paperless and scan things all the time.
Surface | Surface Laptop | Performance and maintenance
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
48 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2025-01-20T19:56:37+00:00 -
Anonymous
2025-01-20T19:25:04+00:00 Thanks Tien Lee for your super helpful post. I am pleased to say my old Canon imageClass MF4800 scanner has sprung into life on the new Surface Laptop 7 with VueScan. If you can get through the tortuous process of disabling MS's Driver Signature Enforcement you're there.
-
Anonymous
2025-01-16T21:53:13+00:00 Thank You Tien Lee - finally a solution that will work with VueScan for my Canon ImageFormula R40 in Windows 11 ARM!
-
Anonymous
2024-12-16T10:58:46+00:00 Cannot speak for the Epson's and struggling to get a cheap all-in-one scanner to work (the Epson XP-2205) working via USB. But the Brother DS 640 definitely works via USB as I am using it on my Lenovo Yoga 5G (old snapdragon 8CX gen 1) which I am using to type this.
To get it working... go to device manager after plugging it in. Right click on it and choose to Update Drivers. Choose the option to Browse my computer for drivers, then choose "Let me pick from a list of available drivers..." then choose "Imaging Devices" and "USB Scanner Device". It will have a warning that this is not recommended, just accept it.
Install the using Brother iPrint & Scan as usual. It is not an ARM native app but works. It will detect the plugged in DS640 and it will scan as usual. Hope that helps you and others looking for a working portable scanner... but I will continue figuring out for mine...
At least printers are much better overall.
Vuescan is an alternative, but didn't work for my Epson too... even after using: https://www.hamrick.com/support/how-to-guides/windows-11-driver-signature-enforcement.html
-
Anonymous
2024-11-11T02:17:44+00:00 Richard 2.
Thanks for sharing your experiences with your SURFACE 7.
I bought SURFACE 7 last month.
I tried to connect my portable scanner EPSON ES-50; no success.
I bought wireless portable scanner EPSON ES-60W; no success.
I bought portable scanner BROTHER DS-640; also no success.
I now connect my EPSON ES-50 to my SURFACE 5, to scan documents.
Then I send them to myself by e-mail.
I then retrieve the e-mail on SURFACE 7, and I download my attachments.
Does anyone know of a better way?
*
I was not aware that Windows 11 came with ARM.
Microsoft also changed OUTLOOK to NEW OUTLOOK.
Now my Contact Lists don't work.
Why didn't MICROSOFT warns us, and rename Windows 11 to Windows 12 or something like that ?
GJA
Houston TX
2024 11 10.