It is happening, again, to me today... my surface pro 3 suddenly died again after 3 years.. look like I have to play around with it hoping it will wake up again...
Surface Pro 3 - completely dead
My Surface Pro 3 has died after two years, I've tried all the 'wake-up' fixes, still nothing. Very unhappy if this needs to be replaced, it seems a lot of money for two years use. Can anyone help or suggest a reasonable repair service in Central London?
Surface | Surface Pro | Install and update
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
43 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2018-10-16T02:39:54+00:00 -
Anonymous
2018-10-17T20:45:19+00:00 I have has the Pro 3 since the day it was launched and apart from the odd volume up/on fix, usually following the battery dying while in use - not connecting the power before clicking OK to the low battery message - all has been fine. Yesterday I put it down for an hour and came back to a brick. Tried everything I can find on the web, including this thread but no luck. Am I doing this wrong or am I the only person whose display or HDD has failed?
So, I do the 30s hard off. Whether bending or not when I turn on I get the keyboard light but nothing else. No hint of the backlight. Leave it on for an hour and the fan cuts in but other than that its a brick. Tried it on the docking station but the same. I know power and dock are fine as using them with my work SP3 too.
Any further thoughts from folk here?
-
Anonymous
2018-10-28T16:27:53+00:00 It worked for me as well! Thanks! However, I am not so sure if NEVER SLEEP will do the trick? Guess it will need something like NEVER DIE?
-
Anonymous
2018-10-28T16:48:41+00:00 Update. Gave up on my SP3. Left it until the battery was completely dead by using the rubber band technique and then tried to bring it back to life - absolutely nothing, so bit the bullet and bought a new one. Painful but not a lot else to do!
As I have ab expensive brick I decided to try taking the screen off a la YouTube to see if the SSD was working or whether disconnecting the battery and re-trying would bring it back to life. Nowhere are easy as it looks and it cracked as soon as I tried to lever it up at all. Oh well, nothing lost.
Took the SSD out and popped it in an enclosure and apart from having to remember where I had stored the BitLocker unlock code it works perfectly. popped it back in and tried booting, albeit with cracked screen - absolutely no signs of life. Clearly something somewhere has gone pop, so other than now having a 256GB external disk the rest is destined for the recycling...
-
Anonymous
2018-10-28T17:40:23+00:00 Sorry to hear that! I imagine eventually it will happen to all of us. The breaking part. I refuse to buy another one. I use mine now for the portability. I hope in two years you do not find your new one is having the same issue. With the upgrades I would expect them to have improved upon the design. Unless it is truly a flaw designed to encourage the purchase of a new product. In any case, best of luck to you!