Surface Pro 3 - completely dead

Anonymous
2017-12-08T22:23:24+00:00

My Surface Pro 3 has died after two years, I've tried all the 'wake-up' fixes, still nothing. Very unhappy if this needs to be replaced, it seems a lot of money for two years use. Can anyone help or suggest a reasonable repair service in Central London?

Surface | Surface Pro | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-12-19T23:53:57+00:00

    good to hear.

    mine is still going strong. 

    I'm not game to try sleep mode again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-12-22T00:37:42+00:00

    I was looking around at some old posts etc and remembered I turned off 'fast start up', probably in response to having this issue a year or more ago.

    so I had a hunt around and found it had been turned on again - probably the Fail Update (quite creative that one).

    the option is buried a bit:

    1. go into power and sleep settings
    2. click 'additional power setting'
    3. click 'what the power buttons do' or 'what closing the lid does'

    you then get this screen:

    if you click 'Change settings that are currently unavailable' you can uncheck 'turn on fast start up'

    my assumption is that when checked it leaves somethings running (so start up is faster) - maybe these are are causing an issue coming out of hibernate/sleep.

    note: my Hibernate has always been off so in my case the inability to boot has been caused by Sleep not Hibernate

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-01-08T20:57:48+00:00

    I finally got the bl00dy thing going!

    Unbelievably, if you slightly bend the Surface in whilst holding the power key down it will start up. It takes a few goes, but it stayed on long enough on one occasion for me to go to settings and select NEVER SLEEP.

    Microsoft, you are a disgrace, you wanted nearly £500 for a replacement, I'll never buy a Microsoft product again, you are no better than a snake oil salesman. Your silence on this issue is shameful.

    THIS WORKED FOR ME!!! My 2 yr old Surface Pro 3 would not start today. Never happened before. After trying everything, and being totally frustrated and ready to toss the thing out the window, I read this advice about 'slightly bending' it and it worked! Bent the upper left corner down while pushing the start button. It took 10-15 tries. Ridiculous that Microsoft, among the richest companies in the world, make such crap.

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-01-11T02:09:31+00:00

    Same problem  here in Grass Valley, CA. My Surface Pro 3 WILL NOT TURN ON no matter what "trick" that Microsoft has me try. This problem began after a forced update.

    I asked customer (no)support if I could send it in to have it fixed.

    They offered me an "Exchange" for $600...that doesn't sound like an exchange. Sounds like I'm buying a piece of garbage tablet from Microsoft that Microsoft won't stand behind or fix.

    NEVER AGAIN will I purchase a Microsoft computer or tablet. They know they have a problem and they won't fix it or do the right thing.

    Disgusted!!!!!!!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-01-12T11:03:31+00:00

    JustinGross1 - Have you tried bending the piece of **** slightly whilst switching it on?

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments