Surface Pro 3 - completely dead

Anonymous
2017-12-08T22:23:24+00:00

My Surface Pro 3 has died after two years, I've tried all the 'wake-up' fixes, still nothing. Very unhappy if this needs to be replaced, it seems a lot of money for two years use. Can anyone help or suggest a reasonable repair service in Central London?

Surface | Surface Pro | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-12-12T06:21:15+00:00

    Well... THANK YOU...... mine has been sitting dead in my drawer for 6 months. Tried this and it worked first try!!! Microsoft wanted $599 to fix this but all my files would be gone! Well atleast i can transfer all my files into my macbook now ;) 

    What i did was to do the 'power and volume trick' while pulling the unit inwards at 45 degrees angle... with type cover intact.  I guess that was what other users meant by 'bending'.  However it worked for me. My SP3 is working fine now and I'm so relieved! Do try that. It is such a waste to keep your surface in the drawer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-12-11T21:13:28+00:00

    Well... THANK YOU...... mine has been sitting dead in my drawer for 6 months. Tried this and it worked first try!!! Microsoft wanted $599 to fix this but all my files would be gone! Well atleast i can transfer all my files into my macbook now ;)

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-10-29T17:03:10+00:00

    To be fair, I have been using mine for more like 4 years.  My wife has a SP1 that is still going strong after nearly 6 and at work we use SP3/4 across the business.  My work one in particular gets a thrashing.  Docked and undocked at work and home throughout the week, used while travelling and so on.  So far it is holding up well, as are those of colleagues, so I am content to buy again, even if it was not in the planning.  

    The more complex the technology the more wrong it goes at times and we all complain, but if you compare what we do with tablet-like computers compared to what we all did with desktops it isn't surprising they get in a mess at times.  If we powered off and back on every time we dock, undock, sleep etc then perhaps we could complain more quickly when things break but we don't do that.  We pick them up, metaphorically throw them in our bags and perhaps push the technology too far.  Who knows.  But overall I am pleased with the product and am just a bit upset that mine didn't last as long as I would have hoped.  At least all my data was retrieved!

    Perhaps I'll change my mind if the same thing happens 2 years I...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-10-28T17:40:23+00:00

    Sorry to hear that! I imagine eventually it will happen to all of us. The breaking part. I refuse to buy another one. I use mine now for the portability. I hope in two years you do not find your new one is having the same issue. With the upgrades I would expect them to have improved upon the design. Unless it is truly a flaw designed to encourage the purchase of a new product. In any case, best of luck to you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-10-28T16:48:41+00:00

    Update.  Gave up on my SP3.  Left it until the battery was completely dead by using the rubber band technique and then tried to bring it back to life - absolutely nothing, so bit the bullet and bought a new one.  Painful but not a lot else to do!

    As I have ab expensive brick I decided to try taking the screen off a la YouTube to see if the SSD was working or whether disconnecting the battery and re-trying would bring it back to life.  Nowhere are easy as it looks and it cracked as soon as I tried to lever it up at all.  Oh well, nothing lost.

    Took the SSD out and popped it in an enclosure and apart from having to remember where I had stored the BitLocker unlock code it works perfectly.  popped it back in and tried booting, albeit with cracked screen - absolutely no signs of life. Clearly something somewhere has gone pop, so other than now having a 256GB external disk the rest is destined for the recycling...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments