Surface Pro 3 - completely dead

Anonymous
2017-12-08T22:23:24+00:00

My Surface Pro 3 has died after two years, I've tried all the 'wake-up' fixes, still nothing. Very unhappy if this needs to be replaced, it seems a lot of money for two years use. Can anyone help or suggest a reasonable repair service in Central London?

Surface | Surface Pro | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-10-29T17:03:10+00:00

    To be fair, I have been using mine for more like 4 years.  My wife has a SP1 that is still going strong after nearly 6 and at work we use SP3/4 across the business.  My work one in particular gets a thrashing.  Docked and undocked at work and home throughout the week, used while travelling and so on.  So far it is holding up well, as are those of colleagues, so I am content to buy again, even if it was not in the planning.  

    The more complex the technology the more wrong it goes at times and we all complain, but if you compare what we do with tablet-like computers compared to what we all did with desktops it isn't surprising they get in a mess at times.  If we powered off and back on every time we dock, undock, sleep etc then perhaps we could complain more quickly when things break but we don't do that.  We pick them up, metaphorically throw them in our bags and perhaps push the technology too far.  Who knows.  But overall I am pleased with the product and am just a bit upset that mine didn't last as long as I would have hoped.  At least all my data was retrieved!

    Perhaps I'll change my mind if the same thing happens 2 years I...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-10-28T16:48:41+00:00

    Update.  Gave up on my SP3.  Left it until the battery was completely dead by using the rubber band technique and then tried to bring it back to life - absolutely nothing, so bit the bullet and bought a new one.  Painful but not a lot else to do!

    As I have ab expensive brick I decided to try taking the screen off a la YouTube to see if the SSD was working or whether disconnecting the battery and re-trying would bring it back to life.  Nowhere are easy as it looks and it cracked as soon as I tried to lever it up at all.  Oh well, nothing lost.

    Took the SSD out and popped it in an enclosure and apart from having to remember where I had stored the BitLocker unlock code it works perfectly.  popped it back in and tried booting, albeit with cracked screen - absolutely no signs of life. Clearly something somewhere has gone pop, so other than now having a 256GB external disk the rest is destined for the recycling...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-10-17T20:45:19+00:00

    I have has the Pro 3 since the day it was launched and apart from the odd volume up/on fix, usually following the battery dying while in use - not connecting the power before clicking OK to the low battery message - all has been fine.  Yesterday I put it down for an hour and came back to a brick.  Tried everything I can find on the web, including this thread but no luck.  Am I doing this wrong or am I the only person whose display or HDD has failed?

    So, I do the 30s hard off.  Whether bending or not when I turn on I get the keyboard light but nothing else.  No hint of the backlight. Leave it on for an hour and the fan cuts in but other than that its a brick.  Tried it on the docking station but the same.  I know power and dock are fine as using them with my work SP3 too.

    Any further thoughts from folk here?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-10-16T02:39:54+00:00

    It is happening, again, to me today... my surface pro 3 suddenly died again after 3 years.. look like I have to play around with it hoping it will wake up again...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-04-24T01:29:50+00:00

    My suggestion is to take it to different microsoft stores in your area, hopefully they have a technician that knows how to fix it. Mine is definitely dead after a automatic firmware update, which is Microsoft fault. Ask them to contact US California Stanford shopping center store if available.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments