Surface Pro 3 - completely dead

Anonymous
2017-12-08T22:23:24+00:00

My Surface Pro 3 has died after two years, I've tried all the 'wake-up' fixes, still nothing. Very unhappy if this needs to be replaced, it seems a lot of money for two years use. Can anyone help or suggest a reasonable repair service in Central London?

Surface | Surface Pro | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2019-01-18T07:48:15+00:00

    Windows Surface Pro

    My machine would not start so I tried this above solution:

    Pressing the ON button while trying to bend the machine from the left and right hand corners worked.

    Amazed with the solution, reminded me of very old BW TV's that we had to slap to turn them on. 

    its 18/01/2019.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-09-14T14:30:00+00:00

    This seems to be a major issue. yet Microsoft cannot be bothered to fix the problem. I suppose greed wins and in-built obsolescence is a money stream for them.

    Exact same situation for me.  I had mine for 2 years and 1 week.  Tried everything.   Very disappointing.   Good thing we have the Microsoft virtual assistant to solve our problem.   With an obviously common problem you almost think they built a 2 year bug into the system to try and sell more units when they die.  Time for Apple? https://lagaiphone.se/shop/windows-mjukvarufel/

    Unbelievably, if you slightly bend the Surface in whilst holding the power key down it will start up. It takes a few goes, but it stayed on long enough on one occasion for me to go to settings and select NEVER SLEEP.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-06-22T13:45:41+00:00

    Bless you BosquesEC1 and all you others that recommended the "bendy" solution.

    I bent the upper left-hand corner of my Surface outward, while pressing the power button.

    And it worked!!!

    I've now disabled Sleep completely.

    I'm so glad I found this post as my device is three years old and I was about to just pack it in.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-01-18T07:31:29+00:00

    Are we talking about the same machine? How do you "bend" it? Mine is solid and doesn't give. Any more bright ideas? I cant turn off Sleep mode if it wont turn ON to get to settings. VERY frustrating!

    Surface Pro 3 from early 2015. Yes it is solid, some sort of Magnesium alloy I believe. So it doesn't bend much, probably less than 1 millimeter. As far as your request for more "bright ideas", that's what worked for me.  But it does take some skill to bend it just slightly (as much as you can, but as said it doesn't move much) and hold the power button down at same time. It took 10-15 attempts for me, but now it has been working fine again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-12-09T00:43:54+00:00

    This seems to be a major issue. yet Microsoft cannot be bothered to fix the problem. I suppose greed wins and in-built obsolescence is a money stream for them.

    I don't think it is built-in obsolescence per se. More likely ineptitude and poor values.

    We see it in everything these days. Poor quality build/premature release where marketing and spin trump engineering.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments