Surface Pro 3 Throttling Solution?

Anonymous
2014-07-06T03:09:34+00:00

Hi! I received my surface pro 3 about 2 weeks ago and so far my experience has been great while surfing the internet, personalizing it to my needs, watching videos, and writing with the stylus.

 I have seen how the surface one and surface pro 2 can handle games on the lowest settings and was very impressed and encouraged to buy the SP3 for light gaming when I have free time and am not using it for work.  However, I am a little disappointed with how the performance on the SP3 drastically drops to less than 1Ghz about 3-5 minutes after I start playing any game or even a less intensive game like Dota 2, Portal, or the newer version of GTA San Andreas (a 2005 GAME) which I bought this week from the Windows Store.  Most of the games I have tried start at 30-60 frames per second but as the heat starts building up, the frame rates drop to 10-15 frames due to throttling... This DOES NOT happen with the surface pro or pro 2 and most people play high end games at 30 frames per second on low settings for long periods even with throttling. I am not able to do that on my surface pro 3... Why? Why is there so much "power" that you can only use for a short time?... Did I just spend $1400 for much less performance than a Surface pro 2?...

I hope that this can be fixed in some way very soon. I really love the surface pro 3 and don't want to return it. But when I play a 2005 game like GTA San Andreas which was ported for smartphones and tablets and the frames drop below 25 after a while... it really gets me thinking...

Surface | Surface Pro | Performance and maintenance

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-08-15T13:32:19+00:00

    Hi! I received my surface pro 3 about 2 weeks ago and so far my experience has been great while surfing the internet, personalizing it to my needs, watching videos, and writing with the stylus.

     I have seen how the surface one and surface pro 2 can handle games on the lowest settings and was very impressed and encouraged to buy the SP3 for light gaming when I have free time and am not using it for work.  However, I am a little disappointed with how the performance on the SP3 drastically drops to less than 1Ghz about 3-5 minutes after I start playing any game or even a less intensive game like Dota 2, Portal, or the newer version of GTA San Andreas (a 2005 GAME) which I bought this week from the Windows Store.  Most of the games I have tried start at 30-60 frames per second but as the heat starts building up, the frame rates drop to 10-15 frames due to throttling... This DOES NOT happen with the surface pro or pro 2 and most people play high end games at 30 frames per second on low settings for long periods even with throttling. I am not able to do that on my surface pro 3... Why? Why is there so much "power" that you can only use for a short time?... Did I just spend $1400 for much less performance than a Surface pro 2?...

    I hope that this can be fixed in some way very soon. I really love the surface pro 3 and don't want to return it. But when I play a 2005 game like GTA San Andreas which was ported for smartphones and tablets and the frames drop below 25 after a while... it really gets me thinking...

    You may want to try to change the level of throttling

    http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/any-tips-to-reduce-or-prevent-the-fan-from-starting-up.10474/#post-76657

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-08-15T13:31:07+00:00

    Hi! I received my surface pro 3 about 2 weeks ago and so far my experience has been great while surfing the internet, personalizing it to my needs, watching videos, and writing with the stylus.

     I have seen how the surface one and surface pro 2 can handle games on the lowest settings and was very impressed and encouraged to buy the SP3 for light gaming when I have free time and am not using it for work.  However, I am a little disappointed with how the performance on the SP3 drastically drops to less than 1Ghz about 3-5 minutes after I start playing any game or even a less intensive game like Dota 2, Portal, or the newer version of GTA San Andreas (a 2005 GAME) which I bought this week from the Windows Store.  Most of the games I have tried start at 30-60 frames per second but as the heat starts building up, the frame rates drop to 10-15 frames due to throttling... This DOES NOT happen with the surface pro or pro 2 and most people play high end games at 30 frames per second on low settings for long periods even with throttling. I am not able to do that on my surface pro 3... Why? Why is there so much "power" that you can only use for a short time?... Did I just spend $1400 for much less performance than a Surface pro 2?...

    I hope that this can be fixed in some way very soon. I really love the surface pro 3 and don't want to return it. But when I play a 2005 game like GTA San Andreas which was ported for smartphones and tablets and the frames drop below 25 after a while... it really gets me thinking...

    You may want to change the level of throttling following these instructions:

    http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/any-tips-to-reduce-or-prevent-the-fan-from-starting-up.10474/#post-76657

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-08-11T14:42:40+00:00

    So it looks like my issue has been sort of resolved. New unit I got at Microsoft store on Saturday doesn't throttle to 0.8ghz. The lowest I seen it run during my emulator game was between 1.6-1.8 which is acceptable.

    Now, did I get a defective unit or not... the thing I noticed which I didn't check on the old unit is that it was very hard to install July 16th firmware update. It kept failing and didn't give me a chance to reinstall it again. I finally got it to work by factory resetting my device and installing only the firmware without any other updates. I wonder if I had the same issue with my old unit and just didn't notice, so the latest firmware might have not been installed on my old unit.

    It is definitely working better now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-08-10T20:27:36+00:00

    It doesn't have much to do with the processor temps as much as it does with the temperature of the body of the Surface. Because it only has one fan instead of the two the surface pro 2 and 1 had, it can't dispel heat to keep the magnesium casing cool as well. Adding an extra fan to cool down the casing kind of helps undo that to some extent. Editing video is kind of a grey area in the throttling, you're not constantly making changes that the CPU has to processes like you would be in a video game, so the fan has some time to cool down the casing in-between re-renderings. However, speeding up this process and telling it to re-render constantly would probably invoke throttling. Think of it this way, the casing of the Surface Pro 3 takes time to cool down and warm up, and after it hits "hot enough" by the surface's standards it will throttle to stop you from burning your hands if you are holding it, even if you don't happen to be holding it. When you are processing lots of graphical data, the case temperature goes up. When you stop processing graphically at a high level, the case starts to cool. Whether you hit the throttling or not is depending on how that balances out for whatever you happen to be doing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-08-10T18:06:15+00:00

    So it begins to throttle even at ipad level games? I can edit on my ipad for extended periods of time, would you say the surface pro 3 can do that(are there some simple video editing apps on the window store to decrease the usage of the CPU)? Im on the fence of getting it or not for college and little YouTube projects. But if it throttles even while playing gta (also on the App Store - using an ipad 2 its playable) then i dont think this can really be called a laptop replacement. I really want to buy one because of the not taking capabilities. To hear it throttle just on a game from its store is crazy. Would it throttle on something like clash of clans if it was on there? I also read somewhere that placing a fan close by the ventilation areas improves its performances by a lot.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments