not enough USB resources error with the docking station

Anonymous
2015-02-18T16:51:23+00:00

Split from this thread.

Was there ever resolution to this? I've got a surface pro 3 with the microsoft dock and have the same error. No hubs, no usb display ports, just the dock ports and am getting the same error.

I'm in the same boat. Running Surface Pro 3 i5 w/ the docking station. Have a all of my USB devices plugged in directly through the docking station and I get this error on a regular basis (typically when I'm plugging in my USB headset). For a while I though it was my StarTech.com MST hub for my monitors seeing how I hadn't had this problem until I started using it - but that plugs into the Mini Display Port and shouldn't have anything to do with USB resources, correct?

I have a few other strange things that happen on a regular basis. Sometimes I'm unable to even log into my machine seeing how I get a resource error issue and have to fully reboot. Wondering if this is related. Sometimes my graphics driver (suspecting the Startech MST hub as the culprit) comes to a halt and I can't watch anything video related  (even Youtube etc.) as the machine can't handle it. Lastly, I'm frequently battling with constant flickering (that lasts 2-5 seconds) with my two external displays that are connected to the MST hub.

I work for Microsoft and am going to post this thread (and the other one) into our Yammer site to see if I can get any hits.

Surface | Surface Pro | USB-C

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-09-11T19:43:42+00:00

Hello VicCooper142,

Thank you for posting to the Microsoft Community. I am sorry for the inconvenience. Rest assured, I am here to help.

Please do try the following:

  • With the Surface connected to the Docking Station and network, unplug the Docking Station from the power outlet, leave it unplugged for 30 seconds to a minute, then plug it back and try to see if you have audio and USB functionality.
  • While the Docking Station is connected to the Surface pro 3, please check for Windows updates one last time,.
  • Do you have the possibility to test a different Surface Pro Docking Station? If you have a Microsoft Store in your area, please try to do so. This is the best way to determine if the issue is indeed with the Docking station or hardware related.

 Additionally, please read the following support article:

If the issue persists after the performing the previous steps, we highly suggest you contact our Technical Support Team for further help and options.

Depending on what is most convenient for you, you can:

  1. Open a service request yourself, using our **Online Service Center**
  2. Contact our Technical Support team**here**

We hope this helps. Please let us know!

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-02-05T18:06:50+00:00

    So I got the USB2-HUB-AG7, and it did reduced the following count in "usbtreeview"

    Before USB2-HUB-AG7 (was using a 3-device slot 10-port USB2 hub):

    Host Controllers: 3

    Root Hubs: 4

    Standard Hubs: 13

    Peripheral Devices: 14

    It used to give error at that peripherals limit of 14, when i added another peripheral.

    With USB2-HUB-AG7 (this is 1-device slot 7-port USB2 hub)

    Host Controllers: 3

    Root Hubs: 4

    Standard Hubs: 11 (this got reduced by 2).

    Peripheral Devices: 14

    It still gives errors at the peripheral limit of 14, when I added another peripheral.

    Now I'm questioning how reducing device slots used by hubs really affect peripheral limit? Or does it affect at all? If not, then what is advantage of minimizing device slots at all... as the whole aim here is how I can add more peripherals.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-01-24T01:32:01+00:00

    Is there an equivalent hub of USB2-HUB-AG7 in USB3 version (plugable or any other brand), which will only use 2 device slots (1 for USB3, and 1 for USB2)?

    I have USB3-HUB7-81X and unfortunately it uses 4 device slots (2 for USB3, and 2 for USB2).

    None yet that I've seen.  Many USB3 hubs such as the Plugable USB3-HUB7-81X are using the VIA VL812 hub controller which supports only four USB3 ports.  I've not seen any USB3 hub controllers supporting more than four ports, so 7-port or 10-port USB3 hubs are always designed using multiple hub controllers chained together.

    Terminus Technology makes the 7-port USB2 hub controller in the Plugable USB2-HUB-AG7.    Browsing their web site showed no USB3 products.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-01-22T04:28:57+00:00

    The next USB device will cause the dreaded 'Not enough USB controller resources'

    So the method of adding any other USB devices means disconnecting one of the above.

    Other than the Surface Pro 3 native devices, my count seems to be twelve, including the

    Bluetooth mouse.

    One way to save on device slots is to minimize the number of USB3 hubs.   USB3 hubs actually consume two device slots each because they have a parallel USB2 hub built in.  

    Also, that 10-port hub is almost certainly (3) 4-port hubs daisy chained internally.  This means the USB3 10-port hub alone is consuming (6) device slots.

    If you have a lot of USB2 or USB1 devices, use a good USB2 hub instead.  I've been using the 7-port Plugable USB2-HUB-AG7, because it only consumes one device slot.  It's hit or miss, but other 7-port hubs are actually (2) 4-port hubs internally, which consumes two device slots.

    You might try using the USB3 ports on the Surface dock and the dual head (UD-3900?) and ditching the 10-port and 4-port USB3 hubs altogether.  If you still need more ports, add a 7-port USB2 hub and connect low speed devices there.

    Is there an equivalent hub of USB2-HUB-AG7 in USB3 version (plugable or any other brand), which will only use 2 device slots (1 for USB3, and 1 for USB2)?

    I have USB3-HUB7-81X and unfortunately it uses 4 device slots (2 for USB3, and 2 for USB2).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-01-22T00:18:59+00:00

    So is there a fix for this error yet?

    I can only connect 9 devices then I get the USB Error like its out of resources.

    Thanks,

    Gary

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments