not enough USB resources error with the docking station

Anonymous
2015-02-18T16:51:23+00:00

Split from this thread.

Was there ever resolution to this? I've got a surface pro 3 with the microsoft dock and have the same error. No hubs, no usb display ports, just the dock ports and am getting the same error.

I'm in the same boat. Running Surface Pro 3 i5 w/ the docking station. Have a all of my USB devices plugged in directly through the docking station and I get this error on a regular basis (typically when I'm plugging in my USB headset). For a while I though it was my StarTech.com MST hub for my monitors seeing how I hadn't had this problem until I started using it - but that plugs into the Mini Display Port and shouldn't have anything to do with USB resources, correct?

I have a few other strange things that happen on a regular basis. Sometimes I'm unable to even log into my machine seeing how I get a resource error issue and have to fully reboot. Wondering if this is related. Sometimes my graphics driver (suspecting the Startech MST hub as the culprit) comes to a halt and I can't watch anything video related  (even Youtube etc.) as the machine can't handle it. Lastly, I'm frequently battling with constant flickering (that lasts 2-5 seconds) with my two external displays that are connected to the MST hub.

I work for Microsoft and am going to post this thread (and the other one) into our Yammer site to see if I can get any hits.

Surface | Surface Pro | USB-C

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-09-11T19:43:42+00:00

Hello VicCooper142,

Thank you for posting to the Microsoft Community. I am sorry for the inconvenience. Rest assured, I am here to help.

Please do try the following:

  • With the Surface connected to the Docking Station and network, unplug the Docking Station from the power outlet, leave it unplugged for 30 seconds to a minute, then plug it back and try to see if you have audio and USB functionality.
  • While the Docking Station is connected to the Surface pro 3, please check for Windows updates one last time,.
  • Do you have the possibility to test a different Surface Pro Docking Station? If you have a Microsoft Store in your area, please try to do so. This is the best way to determine if the issue is indeed with the Docking station or hardware related.

 Additionally, please read the following support article:

If the issue persists after the performing the previous steps, we highly suggest you contact our Technical Support Team for further help and options.

Depending on what is most convenient for you, you can:

  1. Open a service request yourself, using our **Online Service Center**
  2. Contact our Technical Support team**here**

We hope this helps. Please let us know!

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-10-06T11:00:51+00:00

    No, my understanding is this can be fixed by buying a powered USB 3.0 hub. They are not expensive and can be purchased from amazon.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-10-04T21:10:06+00:00

    I'm also having this same problem with my SP3 attached to the SP3 Dock when I plug in a Native Instruments Audio 2 MK2 sound card. "Not enough USB controller resources".

    Wondering if there is a fix yet or some sort of work around?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-09-16T17:21:55+00:00

    IMHO, your display problems are being caused by your display port hubs, they can be flaky. I'm running two monitors direct, one from the display port on the dock, the other direct from the PS3 and zero issues. So go that way to fix those issue or buy monitors that daisey chain display ports. Still doesn't fix our USB problem but you did give me an idea, I'm going to plug my usb headset directly into the USB port on the SP3, my bet is its the one pulling all the power.

    Even then the problem needs to be fixed, its powered dock, should not be having these problems with these simple devices.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-09-16T10:28:43+00:00

    Split from this thread.

    Was there ever resolution to this? I've got a surface pro 3 with the microsoft dock and have the same error. No hubs, no usb display ports, just the dock ports and am getting the same error.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments