There are no handwriting options for this language - SP4/Win10

Anonymous
2016-04-11T00:58:38+00:00

Hello, 

I have a Surface Pro 4 with windows 10 using Australia English. When I download language packs it comes up with "there are no handwriting options for your language" I have the location and date set to Aus but still nothing. I am able to write using the pen pad keyboard but I am unable to correct any letters that the computer doesn't recognize. 

This is the same no matter what language I have it set (English - USA)

Any help would be much appreciated. 

Cheers

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Performance and maintenance

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-12-29T10:00:13+00:00

    I get this too the "Screen 1 of 0".

    But I got there via a convoluted method after the screen told me there were no handwriting options.

    Was this answer helpful?

    50+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-01-20T03:10:43+00:00

    Hello,

    I have got the same problem at the beginning and took me a while to realise that was actually a fake message. I have got "There are no handwriting option for this language" message at the Chinese language option.  

    However, I found out we don't need to download anything but just choose to "Show touch keyboard".

    Steps to use the handwriting:

    1. Open the application when you want to use handwriting, e.g. a search engine or notepad
    2. Switch to the language that you want to do handwriting, in my case Chinese
    3. At the task bar, click at the keyboard symbol (if you don't see it, right click at the task bar and select "Show touch keyboard button)
    4. At the touch keyboard, you should be able to see a keyboard layout on the screen, at the right bottom corner, click at the "change input method" icon. 
    5. Select the symbol with a board and a pen. 
    6. Now, the keyboard on the screen will change to handwriting pad on the screen. 
    7. Start writing with the mouse or touch pad on your computer with pressing down the left button.

    We actually do not need to download anything and I still have the "There no handwriting option for this language" But as long as I can see the touch screen, it works for me. I have done the handwritten recognition test as well before I found this solution, not sure if that was actually necessary.  

    Good luck !

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-05-04T06:56:19+00:00

    I have a strange issue:

    My problem is the same. "there are no handwriting options for this language". But it's for the german language.

    Despite this error message, i can use the handwriting keyboard. It's totally okay.

    But OneNote isn't able to convert handwriting in text. Even the button for this is displayed grey. Even after installation of the Creators Update.

    But when i change the user account to another Microsoft Account, this function is repaired. It works normally. Changing back to my main Microsoft Account will not solve the problem for the main account. But i don't want to change accounts.

    Maybe this point helps solving the problem for somebody.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-10-11T04:10:25+00:00

    this is g problem for me too.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-05-30T08:45:50+00:00

    Hi Amit, 

    1. How are you trying to download the language pack? Settings - time and language - region language - English (Australia) - Options -
    2. What is the exact message that you see?  Handwriting - There are no handwriting options for this langauge
    3. Are you logged in to Microsoft account? Yes
    4. Did you make any recent hardware/software changes? no

    I'm having the same exact issue but with "Italian" language.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments