I have a funny feeling that there is no reference to the blink codes.
I do believe, however that it is an indicator that a machine is in sleep mode or hibernation. If you cannot wake the machine up in a normal fashion, press and hold down the power button for about 15 to 20 seconds, release and then click the power button again. That may start the machine back up.
I would highly recommend (it is up to you) to shut off sleep mode. The Surface series tablets have not faired well with power management. Just look throughout the forum and you will see hundreds of entries regarding it.
Every machine I have, I always shut off the sleep mode and when shutting a machine down, I never use the power button itself - just the normal log off/shut down via prompts. By default the power button will put the machine in sleep mode and you can change that.
Now, that is totally up to you to do anything like that and if you do need the machine to stay on, just activate the "blank" screensaver. Some people run fax/data modems and the machine needs to stay on for those.