Can surface pro x sq2 run Minecraft Java and install recent versions of OpenGL ?

Anonymous
2021-05-13T18:20:11+00:00

I now that surface pro x can’t run several apps like Minecraft Java but now surface pro x has a new better processor it can run now run 64 bit apps and also surface pro x can now run games that uses OpenGl 3.3 but can i use recent versions of OpenGL on surface pro x sq2 ? 

If surface pro x was able to use OpenGL 4.4 I think that it will run Minecraft Java because OpenGL 4.4 is recommended for running better Minecraft Java on some PC’s

Surface | Surface Pro | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-07-06T15:58:23+00:00

    Did anyone try entering servers ?

    Yes, I tried both a Spigot server and hypixel.net. I can connect to both.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-07-06T16:46:25+00:00

    They used legacy OpenGL API (like glRotatef, glLine, glBegin from GL11/GL20). Now you should calculate viewport on your CPU (the best way is using any library like mat4 in JS and make operations on matrix). On snapshot 21w10a they published "Using OpenGL 3.2 core now!" or sth like that. MS also asked lwjgl to port it to ARM64: https://github.com/LWJGL/lwjgl3/issues/601

    In version 3.3.0, build 8 there was some bugs and build 8, 9, 10 doesn't work on arm64, since build 11 it's possible to use it on arm64.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-07-06T19:52:39+00:00

    They used legacy OpenGL API (like glRotatef, glLine, glBegin from GL11/GL20). Now you should calculate viewport on your CPU (the best way is using any library like mat4 in JS and make operations on matrix). On snapshot 21w10a they published "Using OpenGL 3.2 core now!" or sth like that. MS also asked lwjgl to port it to ARM64: https://github.com/LWJGL/lwjgl3/issues/601

    In version 3.3.0, build 8 there was some bugs and build 8, 9, 10 doesn't work on arm64, since build 11 it's possible to use it on arm64.

    Thank you for the additional details! I'm not 100% sure what you mean by calculating the viewport, but I did find your other posts on the subject so I can see you've put some effort into figuring this out! You got a lot farther than I did with MultiMC, which is where I was trying to figure out how to setup the native lwjgl nightly build urls. Your solution with the official launcher is definitely simpler :)

    I also follow some of the settings you did (resolution, render distance) to try to match the FPS you're getting. Interestingly I get much better FPS on a single-player world (20-25 at least) than I do on a server hosted world (4-9), and I'm not sure why yet.

    I gotta say though, kudos to Microsoft for getting involved in the port of Java to ARM64 and asking for lwjgl to be ported as well. Even if it doesn't run perfectly yet, just the fact that it runs on a WoA device is a big step.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-07-06T22:29:11+00:00

    Try with F1 (without rendering GUI). U can also test with shift+F3 and you'll see pie chart and details how many percentages is used. GameRenderer is probably most time-consuming. If it has prefix [1] you can press 1 and you will see time spent for GUI and for level (GUI should be most too - chat rendering is not optimized). It's also without optifine, with optifine I think it could be better. On GTX 1050Ti & i7-8700k without Optifine I've about 230 fps, with about 460 fps (on the same PC, the same world and Minecraft settings, with F3 enabled and with GUI enabled).

    PS. Latest optifine (pre25) for 1.17 crashes on SPX: https://github.com/sp614x/optifine/issues/5739

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-07-08T13:27:20+00:00

    Did u try playing it with Minecraft’s lowest graphics render distancing 2 chunks graphics fast entity distancing 50 biome blend off and other settings

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments