Did anyone try entering servers ?
Can surface pro x sq2 run Minecraft Java and install recent versions of OpenGL ?
I now that surface pro x can’t run several apps like Minecraft Java but now surface pro x has a new better processor it can run now run 64 bit apps and also surface pro x can now run games that uses OpenGl 3.3 but can i use recent versions of OpenGL on surface pro x sq2 ?
If surface pro x was able to use OpenGL 4.4 I think that it will run Minecraft Java because OpenGL 4.4 is recommended for running better Minecraft Java on some PC’s
Surface | Surface Pro | Install and update
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
50 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2021-07-06T14:26:58+00:00 -
Anonymous
2021-07-06T12:48:53+00:00 I prepared Minecraft 1.17 version: https://github.com/adiantek/mc-spx
It's a native (arm64) version (without any emulation, etc.). Without Optifine I had from 20 to 40 FPS.
And no, it's not possible to run 1.16 with arm64 until the compatibility pack update (with support older OpenGL versions) or rewrite 1.16 to OpenGL core.
I haven't tried your instructions yet, but thank you so much for posting this! I've been trying to figure out how to get it working with the native Java 16, but hadn't figured out what I am doing wrong. Though I did think it had something to do with lwjgl since 1.17 now uses Java 16 (so it should work), but the log complained about lwjgl, so I was starting to look at what to switch to 3.3.0 arm64, but I'm pretty unfamiliar with this part.
Edit:
Ok I have now tried them. It took me a bit to understand I needed to select this version when creating a new install. Silly me; it makes perfect sense now. And it works!! Much better than using emulated Java, naturally. This will be very helpful to use as reference for future versions too.
I'll have to do some more testing, as the first world I tried I'm not getting the FPS you are, though I did join a hosted server with a lot of buildings around where I left off. I have switched my device to the Insiders Dev channel, so maybe that's part of it. But it's definitely playable now though, which is simply awesome. This is the best news in a long time, and resolves what has been probably my only real disappointment with Windows on ARM.
I didn't understand why it worked last week as I thought Minecraft used OpenGL 4.5 so when installing the OpenGL Compatibly Pack allowed it to run I was confused how that could be. But your explanation of "the game now runs using OpenGL 3.2 core profile" with 1.17 clarifies it.
-
Anonymous
2021-07-06T04:56:34+00:00 I prepared Minecraft 1.17 version: https://github.com/adiantek/mc-spx
It's a native (arm64) version (without any emulation, etc.). Without Optifine I had from 20 to 40 FPS.
And no, it's not possible to run 1.16 with arm64 until the compatibility pack update (with support older OpenGL versions) or rewrite 1.16 to OpenGL core.
-
Anonymous
2021-07-04T14:03:49+00:00 OMG
Did you test how many fps does Minecraft get ?
-
Anonymous
2021-07-01T12:41:16+00:00 Interesting development. I've switched my Pro X to the insider's dev channel, and now can load the OpenCL and OpenGL compatibility pack insider's version of the app which works with any app (not just Photoshop). Now Minecraft will actually load! It's pretty slow to load, and doesn't run well, and uses like 80% of the CPU. I suspect this is partially because Java is running emulated.
It still crashes with the native Java 16 pre-release version. I'm hoping when that reaches final release maybe it'll run decently. It could also be that the OpenGL compatibility pack is still limited to v3.3, but I'm not sure how Minecraft is able to load, as I thought that required v4.x
I tried loading the Optifine 1.17 pre-release but that crashed.
So not a final solution, but it's a bit of progress.