Can surface pro x sq2 run Minecraft Java and install recent versions of OpenGL ?

Anonymous
2021-05-13T18:20:11+00:00

I now that surface pro x can’t run several apps like Minecraft Java but now surface pro x has a new better processor it can run now run 64 bit apps and also surface pro x can now run games that uses OpenGl 3.3 but can i use recent versions of OpenGL on surface pro x sq2 ? 

If surface pro x was able to use OpenGL 4.4 I think that it will run Minecraft Java because OpenGL 4.4 is recommended for running better Minecraft Java on some PC’s

Surface | Surface Pro | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-09-24T18:35:10+00:00

    Thanks,

    i thought it would work for any Windows Arm64 Device, but on my Samsung Galaxy Book S it does not work. These arm64-Versions are not listed as installable versions. I made a clean new installation of the Minecraft-launcher and deleted the .minecraft-directory first...

    Perhaps adiantek has any clue how to fix it or to run minecraft on this similar Device.

    Thanks for your help!

    I don't see how it would only work with a Surface Pro X, as you can create custom Minecraft versions on x86/x64 Windows too (or linux or OSX for that matter). I definitely think it should run on your Galaxy Book S, so I have to suspect something must not to setup correctly still.

    Just to confirm, you're saving the json file to this location correct?

    %appdata%.minecraft\versions\1.17-aarch64\1.17-aarch64.json

    For me this ends up being

    C:\Users\dom\AppData\Roaming.minecraft\versions\1.17-aarch64\1.17-aarch64.json

    I expect your path should be very similar, just with a different username in place of "dom".

    Once I put the 1.17-aarch64.json file in that location the next time I opened the launcher I had 1.17-aarch64 listed in the versions drop-down list when creating a new installation.

    Also, you could verify the json file did download correctly by opening it in notepad or notepad++ and making sure the contents of the file match what the json file looks like if you view it on github.

    adiantek also has a 1.17.1-aarch64.json file on the github page now so personally I'd switch to that just because it's the latest version. And I would name the folder 1.17.1-aarch64 of course.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-09-22T15:28:39+00:00

    Thanks,

    i thought it would work for any Windows Arm64 Device, but on my Samsung Galaxy Book S it does not work. These arm64-Versions are not listed as installable versions. I made a clean new installation of the Minecraft-launcher and deleted the .minecraft-directory first...

    Perhaps adiantek has any clue how to fix it or to run minecraft on this similar Device.

    Thanks for your help!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-09-16T20:57:45+00:00

    Here are a couple screenshots of what you should see based on my following the same instructions provided by adiantek.

    First, there should be a folder (created by you) named 1.17-aarch64 under %appdata%.minecraft\versions\ as shown below. And yes, there should be a corresponding entry for it in the client under the Version dropdown list when you go to create a new installation.

    Below is what you should see in the 1.17-aarch64 folder (once the launcher downloads the jar file; probably after you create an installation with it the first time):

    Finally, this is what the installation looks like once you've created one and edited the Java executable path. Your native ARM64 java path might be different than mine, so be sure to pick the correct location when you edit this path (I used the Microsoft distribution of Java 16, but there is at least one other out there that has ARM64 builds):

    I was originally confused about setting up a custom version too (never did it before), so hopefully some visuals will help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-09-16T15:27:51+00:00

    In directory versions you must have directory 1.17-aarch64 and in directory 1.17-aarch64 you must have 1.17-aarch64.json. So, you must have the file:
    %appdata%.minecraft\versions\1.17-aarch64\1.17-aarch64.json

    Jar file will be downloaded automatically by the launcher.

    You can't edit 1.17.json, because the checksum is checked and the launcher will detect that there is a different version of 1.17.json than the Mojang server, so the launcher will restore the previous version.

    Thanks for your quick answer!

    Did it right now... When i do that new installation (or what do you mean with "start" in the launcher), there is still no "1.17-aarch64" in the list of installable versions. is this right or should there be "1.17-aarch64" in the list? if i choose the normal 1.17 there is of course a crash. if so, any idea what went wrong?

    or should i try deinstalling minecraft and start from scratch?

    thanks in advance

    (my son nearly kills me for buying that "cool" WoA64-"Notebook" ;-) )

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-09-16T11:03:58+00:00

    In directory versions you must have directory 1.17-aarch64 and in directory 1.17-aarch64 you must have 1.17-aarch64.json. So, you must have the file:
    %appdata%.minecraft\versions\1.17-aarch64\1.17-aarch64.json

    Jar file will be downloaded automatically by the launcher.

    You can't edit 1.17.json, because the checksum is checked and the launcher will detect that there is a different version of 1.17.json than the Mojang server, so the launcher will restore the previous version.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments