Surface Pro 4 HUGE battery drain whilst off

Anonymous
2019-10-26T06:16:28+00:00

My surface pro 4 is currently losing around 20% charge overnight. This is a widely reported problem and I have tried all of the various suggested fixes - no improvement. 

MICROSOFT - WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO FIX THIS???

Surface | Surface Pro | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-04-19T13:27:20+00:00

    I own also an Alienware notebook, my son a Surface Pro 5 and both don't suffer from battery drain; my Pro 4 has always suffered from light battery drain (8/10% a day) but it's got  worse after last August firmware/drivers update. Thank you anyway for your answer

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-04-19T16:38:21+00:00

    So MINIX and HAP drain the battery even when the device is powered off?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-04-19T16:40:24+00:00

    All our Surface Pro 4s experienced the same issue last August. Interestingly I know a person who "never applies updates" and says their Surface Pro is just fine.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-04-19T17:04:47+00:00

    If you search for and read "Intel Management Engine, Explained: The Tiny Computer Inside Your CPU" by How to Geek, this explains fully whats draining batteries even when off. I do know that last August around the time my problem started, the updated IME software was issued to rectify a security leak that was well reported and referred to in the article. I strongly suspect this is the root cause. Can it be fixed, I live in hope. I do know that its not as simple as removing or rolling back the IME sofyware. Read the article itsinformative.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-05-17T12:58:14+00:00

    Hi, 

    Has anybody received any updates to this issue? Its pretty useless to have a mobile device that does not retain its battery.

    The problem is well documented now, but even after searching for hours for a solution, couldnt find one.

    Thanks

    Neil

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments