Surface Pro 4 HUGE battery drain whilst off

Anonymous
2019-10-26T06:16:28+00:00

My surface pro 4 is currently losing around 20% charge overnight. This is a widely reported problem and I have tried all of the various suggested fixes - no improvement. 

MICROSOFT - WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO FIX THIS???

Surface | Surface Pro | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-11-12T18:00:41+00:00

    Microsoft are ****, they obviously don't give a **** about this problem or their customers. I strongly recommend you buy a different brand next time around.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-11-12T17:34:48+00:00

    I echo the same problem with my SP4. I called Microsoft Help this about 8 months ago and there suggestion was to return my Surface and pay like $500 or more for a new Surface because mine is out of warranty. If I am going to spend that kind of money I would rather get a new Surface. But then again, If Microsoft customer service is as we are experiencing, what's the point?

    I al least feel better that I am not the only one experiencing this issue. It doesn't fix the issue, but it tells me that the issue is in the hardware/software.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-10-12T07:28:59+00:00

    I have my first SP4 bought in 2017 and got the same battery drain issue even with proper shut down.

    Nothing is helpful by updating firmware and drivers.

    Then it got screen flicking problem, I send it back to Microsoft and they send me back a refurbished SP4. Since then there is no more battery drain issue when off.

    Feels like there is hardware problem that MS don't want to admit, but if they think users already "consumed" certain part of the lifespan of the unit and should pay for that, at least they should offer special discount for renewing SP4s within a known range of serial numbers.

    My SP4 was replaced due to the flickering issue about 3 years ago and I noticed immediately that it suffered from a light battery drain (10 to 15% a day) but I was so happy to get a working tablet that I decided to keep it anyway also because the draining was reduced to a 5-10%  through disabling the "connected standby" feature; now in 48 hours or less without turning my sp4  on, the battery has no charge remaining (0%) and I noticed the issue has heavily started in August 2019. I use my sp4 only for web browsing, checking email and similar things  for 3-4 hours a week as it's not my main computer. My son bought  a SP5 2,5 years ago  that he's using maybe once a month or so and when it's turned on, its remaining charge is about 90%. It's clear that in some SP4 is definitely a hardware issue with no doubt.

    So I can second your "discount" request, even if it would be better for MS to admit the issue and find a satisfactory solution for everyone.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-10-12T06:38:35+00:00

    I have my first SP4 bought in 2017 and got the same battery drain issue even with proper shut down.

    Nothing is helpful by updating firmware and drivers.

    Then it got screen flicking problem, I send it back to Microsoft and they send me back a refurbished SP4. Since then there is no more battery drain issue when off.

    Feels like there is hardware problem that MS don't want to admit, but if they think users already "consumed" certain part of the lifespan of the unit and should pay for that, at least they should offer special discount for renewing SP4s within a known range of serial numbers.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-10-11T04:12:22+00:00

    Yesterday, after 48 hours without turning on the SP4, I checked how the battery went from 100% to 0%. Unfortunately, Microsoft doesn't seem to have anything to say about it. This has made my SP4 useless. The smallest desktop computer ever seen ... A Microsoft tease to its users ...

    Same for me :(

    Will the july 2020 surface pro 4 update resolve battery drain issue? Please help

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments