If you open the playback devices in the sound icon on the taskbar, you should be able to select the desired output device. It is likely to switch to the digital out when connected with the digital video out.
Surface Pro has no sound when external display is connected
When I have an external monitor connected via the mini displayport on the Surface Pro, there is no sound played through the Surface's speakers. I have plug in speakers into the mini audio out. Does the mini-dp on Surface support audio and is trying to output audio? I'm currently using a mini-dp to displayport cable, and would prefer the option to choose whether the sound is being piped through the mini-dp or continue through the Surface's speakers.
Surface | Surface Pro | USB-C
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
43 additional answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2017-01-06T09:39:30+00:00 Try this - this worked for me:
- Right-click Playback Devices
- Right-click the selected output device, select Properties
- Advanced tab
- Change the Default Format, keep trying until one of the select bit/Hz works.
-
Anonymous
2017-01-05T14:12:01+00:00 Hi Michael,
We suggest that your visit the nearest Microsoft Store for assistance or contact our Answer desk team.
We're just here if you have other concerns.
-
Anonymous
2017-01-03T08:43:13+00:00 I rebooted the machine with the HDMI cable attached and then it worked. Make sure your output device is checked in the audio controls (little speaker icon bottom right main screen). I'm unhappy with this solution (Damn you, MS) but it works.
thanks, but this does not work for me. I read this whole thread and tried the solutions... The HDMI does not appear in the audio controls.
-
Anonymous
2017-01-03T00:29:10+00:00 I rebooted the machine with the HDMI cable attached and then it worked. Make sure your output device is checked in the audio controls (little speaker icon bottom right main screen). I'm unhappy with this solution (Damn you, MS) but it works.