Keyboard gets 'stuck' after 5 seconds while playing games...

Anonymous
2013-12-20T14:04:08+00:00

And since a lot of games use AWSD for movement, this is a problem.

Basically - for example - playing Minecraft, when running forward (w) if you hold the w key down for 5 seconds, it'll 'stick' - and you can let go of the keyboard, and you will continue moving forward until you hit w again.  This also happened in several other games (Star Wars the Old Republic; Bioshock Infinite and Borderlands 2 (I think - I'm not sure it happened there...  But regardless).

I've tried turning off all the sticky keys - filter keys - all that stuff; I can't find any way of stopping this so far.  Is it maybe a defective keyboard?  Or just a 'flaw' in the design?

Thanks.

Surface | Surface Pro | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-02-15T18:35:46+00:00

    See my post here:

    http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/microsoft-surface-help/7051-modifier-keys-stuck-after-8-seconds.html#post54366

    This seems to have temporarily fixed the sticky modifier keys for me... at least temporarily.

    Good Luck!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-02-15T21:08:15+00:00

    It seems to be fixed for me too. I'll post back if more issues occur regarding this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-02-15T23:24:06+00:00

    Greetings all,

    We are actively investigating this issue and will work on a resolution to ensure our customers have the best possible experience on their Surface devices.

    Woot!  That's great news!

    I'm going to try the temporary fix and see if that works for me as well....

    EDIT:  Meh - I can't get my keyboard to work now; there is no cover listed.  :/  I had refreshed my surface, and it's apparently a known bug - but now I can't figure out how to fix it....

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-02-16T02:54:26+00:00

    See my post here:

    http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/microsoft-surface-help/7051-modifier-keys-stuck-after-8-seconds.html#post54366

    This seems to have temporarily fixed the sticky modifier keys for me... at least temporarily.

    Good Luck!

    Excellent, if it is confirmed that this is a valid workaround I will prob pick up another surface. Thanks for the info, I hope MS is developing a fix for this in the mean time.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-03-02T02:51:41+00:00

    Just wanted to confirm that I tired the fix listed above and it does not fix the issue. Turning off all filter / sticky keys AND changing the keyboard repeat and delay settings didn't help.

    If anything, I had to hold the key down for a bit longer - 10 or so seconds, but after that it sticks and needs to be tapped to unstick.

    Still waiting for a fix from MS...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments