Keyboard gets 'stuck' after 5 seconds while playing games...

Anonymous
2013-12-20T14:04:08+00:00

And since a lot of games use AWSD for movement, this is a problem.

Basically - for example - playing Minecraft, when running forward (w) if you hold the w key down for 5 seconds, it'll 'stick' - and you can let go of the keyboard, and you will continue moving forward until you hit w again.  This also happened in several other games (Star Wars the Old Republic; Bioshock Infinite and Borderlands 2 (I think - I'm not sure it happened there...  But regardless).

I've tried turning off all the sticky keys - filter keys - all that stuff; I can't find any way of stopping this so far.  Is it maybe a defective keyboard?  Or just a 'flaw' in the design?

Thanks.

Surface | Surface Pro | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-06-16T23:07:28+00:00

    I'd also like to chime in and say I have noticed this issue, spoken with Microsoft support online, and in person at a Microsoft Store, and nobody has even heard of it.

    I was able to reproduce the issue on the Surface Pros in the store, although surprisingly the Surface Pro 3 did not seem to exhibit the same behavior (though I was only able to test it on one Surface Pro 3, because there were quite a few people using them.)

    I wish Microsoft would be more forthcoming with details about what the problem is with this issue, and if/when they think they might have a solution.  This issue has been around for months with no updates at all.  Maybe we're not just complaining loudly enough.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-06-07T13:42:05+00:00

    I'm not sure, but I have the impression that this problem started when I upgraded to 8.1.

    It happened on 8.0 as well.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-06-07T12:34:12+00:00

    To enhance the information: the problem occurs in World of Warcraft (I don't play Minecraft or any of the other games that seem to suffer from this). My PC has three Microsoft wireless transponders (one for the keyboard, one each for a Sculpt mouse and a Wireless Mobile 4000 mouse). I'm not sure, but I have the impression that this problem started when I upgraded to 8.1.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-06-07T04:52:13+00:00

    I can reproduce this error on a Windows 8.1 Pro 64 PC with Microsoft Arc keyboard. It is not limited to the Surface Pro 2. It takes exactly five seconds for a key to "stick", and it will remain that way until tapped again.

    Strange - that never happened to me....  That keyboard worked flawlessly...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-06-07T00:22:31+00:00

    No I'm not, since I'm not stupid.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments