Overheating issue in the new Surface Pro 8: getting even hotter when charger is connected

Anonymous
2021-10-23T19:14:12+00:00

Hi,

I have purchased a brand new Surface Pro 8 from Microsoft website, it has 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD in USA. Since when I purchased it, I am having some hitting issue. After only half an hour of regular usage, the Surface is becoming hotter. An more importantly, overheating is happening when the charger (official charger that came with it) is connected. Initially I felt it by touching with hand. Later, I have checked the core temperatures using Core Temp 1.17.1 (a free software). When the charger is not connected, the temperature is remaining around 45 degree C, sometimes a bit higher and lower than that. While this itself was to a bit hotter side, the temperature increased an became around 50 to 55 degree C when I connected the charger, and that happened just after five minutes of connecting the charger with regular use like YouTube video playing, web browsing in 10-15 tabs. Even sometimes I saw more than 60 degree C when the charger is connected.

I spent around 2500 USD for this device, and feeling unlucky in seeing such heating issue in a high-end latest device by Microsoft. Any solution from experienced people and Microsoft is highly appreciated.

Zobaer Islam

>>Edited post to remove PII

Surface | Surface Pro | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-08-08T22:06:13+00:00

    Why not just shut down computer if you know you'll be away from computer for an extended period? Then charge while it is shutdown?

    I have no idea what you are talking about. The problem WAS that the computer heated a lot even with minor workloads, charging or not (like watching Youtube). Your "solution" is that I shut down the computer and never use it?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-08-08T21:58:38+00:00

    To help with tabs being removed, you could minimize your windows. I do this and then the shutdown.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-08-08T21:46:35+00:00

    Why not just shut down computer if you know you'll be away from computer for an extended period? Then charge while it is shutdown?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-08-08T16:16:00+00:00

    I got this as a gift a few months ago and i have to use it on and off because after a hour of use its hot and i just got a microsoft keyboard for it and was getting a pen but im spooked its gonna get messed up what do i do with it im the first owner since it was given to me sealed

    It gets hot while not plugged in and also when it is charging as well .. this is nuts its very annoying ...

    I've found at least one solution that actually worked besides external fan, but it comes at the cost of perfomance, so pick your poison I suppose. 🤷🏻‍♂️

    Anyways, here's what I did: I installed ThrottleStop and set up three profiles: 1. Performance 2. Balanced. 3. Power Saver. (In Options, found at bottom you can set names for the profiles and configure them to activate automatically when on battery/plugged in).

    In ThrottleStop main window, here are my settings:

    1. Performance profile: check the first box. From the drop-down list select "High Performance". Check Speed Shift box and set it to 30 (I'm not 100% certain this setting does anything, but it's what I use).
    2. Balanced profile: check the first box, set it to "Balanced". Check Speed Shift box and set the value to 128.
    3. Power Saver profile check the first box and set it to "Power Saver". Check "Speed Shift" and set it to 255. Check "Disable Turbo" box.

    Now go to Control Panel and navigate to "System and Security" then select "Power Options". Click "Change plan settings" with Power Saver mode selected (if it's not visible, force it to activate with ThrottleStop, exit Control Panel and come back, it should now appear) then "Change advanced power settings".

    Now navigate to "Maximum processor state" and set it to 30%. Do the same for the Balanced profile and set maximum processor state to 60%.

    Now you can use ThrottleStop to activate either the Balanced for less heat generated but decent performance, or in extreme case activate Power Saver profile and it cuts the wattage consumed (and as a result heat generated) by the chip dramatically. My SP8 doesn't warm up much at all with the Power Saver active and it's usable with Balanced too. I only use Performance profile when I'm on desk plugged in and have external fan blowing at the back.

    Hope that helps!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-08-08T05:09:13+00:00

    I got this as a gift a few months ago and i have to use it on and off because after a hour of use its hot and i just got a microsoft keyboard for it and was getting a pen but im spooked its gonna get messed up what do i do with it im the first owner since it was given to me sealed

    It gets hot while not plugged in and also when it is charging as well .. this is nuts its very annoying ...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments