Overheating issue in the new Surface Pro 8: getting even hotter when charger is connected

Anonymous
2021-10-23T19:14:12+00:00

Hi,

I have purchased a brand new Surface Pro 8 from Microsoft website, it has 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD in USA. Since when I purchased it, I am having some hitting issue. After only half an hour of regular usage, the Surface is becoming hotter. An more importantly, overheating is happening when the charger (official charger that came with it) is connected. Initially I felt it by touching with hand. Later, I have checked the core temperatures using Core Temp 1.17.1 (a free software). When the charger is not connected, the temperature is remaining around 45 degree C, sometimes a bit higher and lower than that. While this itself was to a bit hotter side, the temperature increased an became around 50 to 55 degree C when I connected the charger, and that happened just after five minutes of connecting the charger with regular use like YouTube video playing, web browsing in 10-15 tabs. Even sometimes I saw more than 60 degree C when the charger is connected.

I spent around 2500 USD for this device, and feeling unlucky in seeing such heating issue in a high-end latest device by Microsoft. Any solution from experienced people and Microsoft is highly appreciated.

Zobaer Islam

>>Edited post to remove PII

Surface | Surface Pro | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-03-22T20:29:47+00:00

    I believe it is obvious that Microsoft has let all Surface users down over the Overheating issues.

    I love my Surface Pro 7, but like so many others the darn thing can overheat often and just by performing the basic functions such as Charging, Updating and Playing simple games.

    Microsoft should have corrected this problem some time back and have really fallen down on this important issue. From what I have read, all this advice about checking the system, refreshing and even reinstalling is not a fix.

    These Computers are not cheap and we expected getting a quality device. What good is the speed, graphics etc if it is going to overheat and shutdown while in the middle of working or playing.

    Just had to speak my frustrations at Microsoft for letting us all down and using useless fixes that only frustrates us more...

    I

    Was this answer helpful?

    70+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-02-09T02:50:51+00:00

    It's the random blue screens that annoy me. Full-specced i7 with 16Gb RAM and largish SSD but I find it unreliable so I can't use it for some mission-critical tasks (stage work) and have to save frequently (or auto-save) because I can't tell when it may crash. Reliably crashes if hot / plugged in but if cool, can go for days without problems. My Surface Pro 4 i5 continues to work flawlessly, just getting slower, so I thought I'd go with the new machine. Now not sure I made the right decision. I still use the Pro 4 for stage work as can't risk a crash mid-performance :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-12-27T01:40:11+00:00

    I had similar problem for a new lenovo 2-in1 laptop. See if changing battery status from high performance to balanced/battery saver option reduce the temperature.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-10-25T23:11:29+00:00

    At 60C I wouldn't be concerned. The laptop is bound to heat up the more it works for such tasks as playing video, charging the battery, etc.. If you aren't getting a warning from the computer I wouldn't worry about it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-10-25T21:10:15+00:00

    Hi Zobaer Islam,

    Thank you for reaching Microsoft Community.

    When the Surface heats up, do you experience some lags or system slow performance?

    Is there a thermal prompt?

    The Surface may become very warm during normal use especially when the device is under heavy load and also while installing updates. Device may become warm also when charging. However, it complies with the user-accessible surface temperature limits defined by the International Standards for Safety (IEC 60950-1 and IEC 62368). If the device overheats, it will shut down and display a thermometer icon on startup (if not cooled).

    Please ensure also that all updates are installed by going to Windows Settings > Update & Security. Check also if Optional updates are available. You may also run the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit. See: Fix common Surface problems using the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit (microsoft.com)

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments