I sent the Surface back and purchased an HP
Overheating issue in the new Surface Pro 8: getting even hotter when charger is connected
Hi,
I have purchased a brand new Surface Pro 8 from Microsoft website, it has 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD in USA. Since when I purchased it, I am having some hitting issue. After only half an hour of regular usage, the Surface is becoming hotter. An more importantly, overheating is happening when the charger (official charger that came with it) is connected. Initially I felt it by touching with hand. Later, I have checked the core temperatures using Core Temp 1.17.1 (a free software). When the charger is not connected, the temperature is remaining around 45 degree C, sometimes a bit higher and lower than that. While this itself was to a bit hotter side, the temperature increased an became around 50 to 55 degree C when I connected the charger, and that happened just after five minutes of connecting the charger with regular use like YouTube video playing, web browsing in 10-15 tabs. Even sometimes I saw more than 60 degree C when the charger is connected.
I spent around 2500 USD for this device, and feeling unlucky in seeing such heating issue in a high-end latest device by Microsoft. Any solution from experienced people and Microsoft is highly appreciated.
Zobaer Islam
>>Edited post to remove PII
Surface | Surface Pro | Power and battery
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
45 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2022-11-25T22:38:44+00:00 -
Anonymous
2022-08-08T16:16:00+00:00 I got this as a gift a few months ago and i have to use it on and off because after a hour of use its hot and i just got a microsoft keyboard for it and was getting a pen but im spooked its gonna get messed up what do i do with it im the first owner since it was given to me sealed
It gets hot while not plugged in and also when it is charging as well .. this is nuts its very annoying ...
I've found at least one solution that actually worked besides external fan, but it comes at the cost of perfomance, so pick your poison I suppose. 🤷🏻♂️
Anyways, here's what I did: I installed ThrottleStop and set up three profiles: 1. Performance 2. Balanced. 3. Power Saver. (In Options, found at bottom you can set names for the profiles and configure them to activate automatically when on battery/plugged in).
In ThrottleStop main window, here are my settings:
- Performance profile: check the first box. From the drop-down list select "High Performance". Check Speed Shift box and set it to 30 (I'm not 100% certain this setting does anything, but it's what I use).
- Balanced profile: check the first box, set it to "Balanced". Check Speed Shift box and set the value to 128.
- Power Saver profile check the first box and set it to "Power Saver". Check "Speed Shift" and set it to 255. Check "Disable Turbo" box.
Now go to Control Panel and navigate to "System and Security" then select "Power Options". Click "Change plan settings" with Power Saver mode selected (if it's not visible, force it to activate with ThrottleStop, exit Control Panel and come back, it should now appear) then "Change advanced power settings".
Now navigate to "Maximum processor state" and set it to 30%. Do the same for the Balanced profile and set maximum processor state to 60%.
Now you can use ThrottleStop to activate either the Balanced for less heat generated but decent performance, or in extreme case activate Power Saver profile and it cuts the wattage consumed (and as a result heat generated) by the chip dramatically. My SP8 doesn't warm up much at all with the Power Saver active and it's usable with Balanced too. I only use Performance profile when I'm on desk plugged in and have external fan blowing at the back.
Hope that helps!
-
Anonymous
2022-07-09T14:43:49+00:00 My SP8 i7 gets warm doing nothing at all. I watched a lot of reviews prior to purchase and they claimed the fans would barely ever turn on even with moderate workloads. I have fans spinning and the whole device feeling uncomfortably warm just writing this message, with nothing heavy going on in the background. Are the thermals really this bad, or is this unit defective? Very disappointed in the experience, I've had so many problems from 4K display not working to blue screens and terrible thermals. Kinda regret buying this thing, but I'm stuck with it.
-
Anonymous
2022-06-29T07:48:07+00:00 Exactly same problem on Surface Pro 8, i7, 16, 256.
And when it becomes hot, it's not possible to carry the tab. I have done all updates of everything, but still the problem. And when the inside fan powered on, the problem remain: The tab stay very hot.
Please MS, help us with this premium product that manage overheating like a cheap product.
Thank you.
-
Anonymous
2022-06-20T04:05:38+00:00 This happens with my Surface Pro 8 Machine also (i5, 8GB Ram and 256G Storage). i ran about 15 tabs in Edge, Miro, Gather.town and Slack. And at times it overheated, show a bluescreen and restarted. I do online facilitation + training a lot, so it really is a bummer to have bluescreen when you are in the middle of it. :(
will try to turn off indexing and see if that helps