Overheating issue in the new Surface Pro 8: getting even hotter when charger is connected

Anonymous
2021-10-23T19:14:12+00:00

Hi,

I have purchased a brand new Surface Pro 8 from Microsoft website, it has 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD in USA. Since when I purchased it, I am having some hitting issue. After only half an hour of regular usage, the Surface is becoming hotter. An more importantly, overheating is happening when the charger (official charger that came with it) is connected. Initially I felt it by touching with hand. Later, I have checked the core temperatures using Core Temp 1.17.1 (a free software). When the charger is not connected, the temperature is remaining around 45 degree C, sometimes a bit higher and lower than that. While this itself was to a bit hotter side, the temperature increased an became around 50 to 55 degree C when I connected the charger, and that happened just after five minutes of connecting the charger with regular use like YouTube video playing, web browsing in 10-15 tabs. Even sometimes I saw more than 60 degree C when the charger is connected.

I spent around 2500 USD for this device, and feeling unlucky in seeing such heating issue in a high-end latest device by Microsoft. Any solution from experienced people and Microsoft is highly appreciated.

Zobaer Islam

>>Edited post to remove PII

Surface | Surface Pro | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-03-22T20:29:47+00:00

    I believe it is obvious that Microsoft has let all Surface users down over the Overheating issues.

    I love my Surface Pro 7, but like so many others the darn thing can overheat often and just by performing the basic functions such as Charging, Updating and Playing simple games.

    Microsoft should have corrected this problem some time back and have really fallen down on this important issue. From what I have read, all this advice about checking the system, refreshing and even reinstalling is not a fix.

    These Computers are not cheap and we expected getting a quality device. What good is the speed, graphics etc if it is going to overheat and shutdown while in the middle of working or playing.

    Just had to speak my frustrations at Microsoft for letting us all down and using useless fixes that only frustrates us more...

    I

    Was this answer helpful?

    70+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-03-23T15:54:56+00:00

    Absolutely agree. My one month old Pro-8 just died. Started to run slow, overheat terribly, and the dreaded BSOD appeared. Attempted to fix to no avail. Perhaps hardware failure as a result of overheating. Thank goodness I was in the return window so I could receive a new Surface, not a refurbished one passed off as new (as they do when you make a warranty call).

    Not impressed in the least and considering a new device all together.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-03-23T17:59:33+00:00

    It would be interesting to know how many of users who are experiencing these Overheating issues are using a cover?

    I have often been tempted to buy a cover, that's supposedly safe to use, but when I experienced the Overheating issue shortly after purchased, I knew that this cover would only escalate the Overheating issue, because unless they have a built in fan they are not worth it.

    How can Microsoft honestly recommend any cover when they have so many unhappy customers who are probably saddled with a mostly useless Surface. Have they ever admitted they are selling an inferior product knowingly, only for profit?!

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-02-09T02:50:51+00:00

    It's the random blue screens that annoy me. Full-specced i7 with 16Gb RAM and largish SSD but I find it unreliable so I can't use it for some mission-critical tasks (stage work) and have to save frequently (or auto-save) because I can't tell when it may crash. Reliably crashes if hot / plugged in but if cool, can go for days without problems. My Surface Pro 4 i5 continues to work flawlessly, just getting slower, so I thought I'd go with the new machine. Now not sure I made the right decision. I still use the Pro 4 for stage work as can't risk a crash mid-performance :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-04-19T06:33:12+00:00

    This is such a BS comment to make. There are so many customers who are concerned about the overheating issue and support gives such poor and political responses that mean nothing. They do not help or fix the overheating problems. They are hiding behind the so called standards that obviously are not high enough to prevent the overheating issue. It is obvious by the numbers of customers complaining about overheating that Microsoft should have corrected this problem back in Surface pro 4 or earlier, but they have not.

    Now in the Surface 8 customers are complaining about the loud fan noise and still (even with a fan) overheating problems.

    I know that I will not purchase anything from Microsoft again and will be on Facebook in minutes telling my friends to tell their friends to not buy Microsoft until they man-up and resolve Surface Pro Users problems. Microsoft has been such a let down, especially for this expensive Surface Pro Series.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments