Surface Pro 2 system issues

Anonymous
2018-07-18T17:10:07+00:00

I am running a Surface Pro 2 with build 17134.167.  There is an external USB HUB with a Dell monitor, mouse and audio connected to the HUB.  After the last 1803 update, the display driver fails to load and the external display is not recognized, although it works.  The Control Panel Device Manager also shows that the unit is not recognized as a Surface model with the keyboard and unit displaying caution icons.  Associated drivers imply that they are for a Surface Pro 4.  The system appears to work, but it has issues.  All updates have been through automatic updates, so I do not understand the Surface Pro 4 designations.  

I have tried to update drivers when allowed and that fails with the system telling me that the installed drivers are up to date.

Am I doomed to perform a reinstall, or is there another solution.  Evidentially I have no recovery files, although I am sure that I made some.

Surface | Surface Pro | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-07-24T00:25:17+00:00

    If using wmic:root\cli>csproduct list full:

    Description=Computer System Product

    IdentifyingNumber=[Redacted]

    Name=Surface Pro 2

    SKUNumber=

    UUID=2BFAD366-F2BB-F143-5198-92033DB687D4

    Vendor=Microsoft Corporation

    Version=1

    Your Version number makes it look like there is corruption, not just incorrect values.  I'm wondering if whatever it is that did this could have just stopped at this phase and not actually damaged your BIOS.  Also, I wonder if the UUID gives a more specific clue about what it could have been but I can't tell if it is product specific or machine specific.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-07-24T14:17:56+00:00

    That may be, but it doesn't help me get back.

    As I mentioned to Barb, I believe that the .bin files in the C:\Windows\Firmware directory are Surface Pro 4 files and not the .bin files that should reside there.  I can't unpack the .cab files for the Surface Pro 2, so I'm really not sure.  There's obviously something terminating the installation of the SurfaceProUEFI.inf file.  There is most likely a Registry key someplace that's the culprit.  I never get any fault message though, just a message that the process was completed successfully.

    The Registry HKEY_LOCAL_HARDWARE DESCRIPTION /SYSTEM /SYSTEMBIOSVERSION Type is listed as REG_MULTI_SZ and the Date is MSFT - 0 108.1926.769 MSFT - 10000

    While poking around in the Registry, I noticed a file called "Panther" in the Windows directory.  The files in that directory appear to be associated with rollback.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-07-24T15:07:27+00:00

    Interesting enough, I was trying to download a recovery image for my unit from MS.  When asked for my device and serial number, I filled in the blanks.  The web site than responded with "Surface Pro 4 - 256GB i5 8GB - Windows 10 Version 1703", even though I definitely indicated that my unit was a Pro 2 and it had the serial number which should have confirmed it.  According to Barb, MS isn't supporting this device anymore.  Guess this proves that point.

    When I tried to execute the download, the page hung, so I guess the topic is mute.  Haven't tried to see if my recovery partition is intact or not.  If it's corrupt, then I'm screwed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-07-24T15:18:16+00:00

    Silly question, won't reimaging my Surface just reinstall Windows or is the "Reset" option something different?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Barb Bowman 80,815 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2018-07-24T15:28:56+00:00

    a complete wipe and reimage will fix software errors (not firmware), and if you

    think it is something in the registry on drivers, you will at least be at a

    known good starting point.

    as for the recovery image page offering you an SP4 image instead of an SP2, that

    is very strange.

    >Silly question, won't reimaging my Surface just reinstall Windows or is the "Reset" option something different?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments