Surface Pro 2 system issues

Anonymous
2018-07-18T17:10:07+00:00

I am running a Surface Pro 2 with build 17134.167.  There is an external USB HUB with a Dell monitor, mouse and audio connected to the HUB.  After the last 1803 update, the display driver fails to load and the external display is not recognized, although it works.  The Control Panel Device Manager also shows that the unit is not recognized as a Surface model with the keyboard and unit displaying caution icons.  Associated drivers imply that they are for a Surface Pro 4.  The system appears to work, but it has issues.  All updates have been through automatic updates, so I do not understand the Surface Pro 4 designations.  

I have tried to update drivers when allowed and that fails with the system telling me that the installed drivers are up to date.

Am I doomed to perform a reinstall, or is there another solution.  Evidentially I have no recovery files, although I am sure that I made some.

Surface | Surface Pro | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-07-22T16:41:36+00:00

    So....the consensus is that I run the SurfaceProUEFI.inf file and cross my fingers?  What about the SurfaceProSAM.inf in the SAM folder and the SurfaceProEC.inf in the EC folder?  If I do those as well, what is the sequence?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Barb Bowman 80,815 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2018-07-23T10:18:05+00:00

    run each of them one at a time and restart after each one. the order should not

    matter.

    >So....the consensus is that I run the SurfaceProUEFI.inf file and cross my fingers?  What about the SurfaceProSAM.inf in the SAM folder and the SurfaceProEC.inf in the EC folder?  If I do those as well, what is the sequence?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-07-23T13:30:00+00:00

    I installed the SurfaceProUEFI.inf.  The system claimed that the installation was successful, but that message came back almost immediately.  I'm an old EE and I know that it takes longer than that to flash a ROM.  I did the reboot and nothing had changed.  Noting this lack of success, I didn't bother with the other two.

    At one point I did boot into the UEFI menu and recorded the Firmware levels reported there.  They are the same levels that are in the C:\Windows\Firmware file folder.  

    I've tried to recreate the crime, thinking that maybe I could find the path I used to cause this mess, but have been unsuccessful to date.  I did read one site that you cannot go back with BIOS revisions, but I don't know if I believe that.  It's still amazing to me that Microsoft engineers didn't do a simple parameter check to ensure that the firmware being flashed was correct for the target system.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Barb Bowman 80,815 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2018-07-23T13:46:47+00:00

    Wish I had more advice, but I don't. (Other than using the official recovery

    image which you already stated you did not want to do).

    It would be good if you could figure out how you got things into this state and

    then post the info as a problem report using the Feedback Hub App.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-07-23T13:55:52+00:00

    I really appreciate the effort you are expending to help me conquer this problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments