Surface Pro 2 system issues

Anonymous
2018-07-18T17:10:07+00:00

I am running a Surface Pro 2 with build 17134.167.  There is an external USB HUB with a Dell monitor, mouse and audio connected to the HUB.  After the last 1803 update, the display driver fails to load and the external display is not recognized, although it works.  The Control Panel Device Manager also shows that the unit is not recognized as a Surface model with the keyboard and unit displaying caution icons.  Associated drivers imply that they are for a Surface Pro 4.  The system appears to work, but it has issues.  All updates have been through automatic updates, so I do not understand the Surface Pro 4 designations.  

I have tried to update drivers when allowed and that fails with the system telling me that the installed drivers are up to date.

Am I doomed to perform a reinstall, or is there another solution.  Evidentially I have no recovery files, although I am sure that I made some.

Surface | Surface Pro | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-07-21T13:26:32+00:00

    Barb, if I could recall I'd go through the same process with the correct BIOS image.  Unfortunately the process I went through eludes me.  I most likely did a search for Surface Pro BIOS updates and loaded the latest version.  According to sites I have visited, you can manually update the BIOS in Pro 3 and Pro 4 units, but not any the precede those models.  I guess that's not entirely true but obviously you shouldn't.  Not sure why I was able to load a Pro 4 BIOS to begin with.  Seems like the loader should have done a simple test before allowing it to happen.  My problem now is to figure how to back out of this situation.

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-07-21T13:30:36+00:00

    I ran the command and below is what the system reported:

    BiosCharacteristics={7,11,12,16,19,26,27,29,32,33,40,42,43}

    BuildNumber=

    CodeSet=

    CurrentLanguage=

    Description=108.1926.769

    IdentificationCode=

    InstallableLanguages=

    InstallDate=

    LanguageEdition=

    ListOfLanguages=

    Manufacturer=Microsoft Corporation

    Name=108.1926.769

    OtherTargetOS=

    PrimaryBIOS=TRUE

    ReleaseDate=20171206000000.000000+000

    SerialNumber=<Redacted>

    SMBIOSBIOSVersion=108.1926.769

    SMBIOSMajorVersion=3

    SMBIOSMinorVersion=1

    SMBIOSPresent=TRUE

    SoftwareElementID=108.1926.769

    SoftwareElementState=3

    Status=OK

    TargetOperatingSystem=0

    Version=MSFT  

    • 0

    It is obviously different from yours, but doesn't tell me anything other than that.  As for exercising the Create function, I would need to understand that function before going there.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Barb Bowman 80,815 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2018-07-21T14:15:36+00:00

    if you download the latest zip file and expand it, do you find a UEFI subfolder?

    If yes, what are the contents? A screen shot would be helpful.

    I don't honestly know what might be irrevocably corrupt by installing the wrong

    UEFI bits or how it was even possible to do this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-07-21T16:10:53+00:00

    I've downloaded the files previously, but as I mentioned, there is no .msi file for automatically loading everything.  The files included in the UEFI Firmware folder are as follows:

    surfaceprouefi.cat 

    SurfaceProUEFI.inf

    SurfaceProUEFI_20500FA.cap

    There are also folders for EC and SAM.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Barb Bowman 80,815 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2018-07-21T16:53:15+00:00

    right click the one below, and then click install

    >SurfaceProUEFI.inf

    >

    if there are inf files in these 2 folders, right click each inf and then click

    install

    >

    >There are also folders for EC and SAM.

    there is no guarantee that these will install over what you have no, but it is

    worth a try.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments