Surface Pro 2 system issues

Anonymous
2018-07-18T17:10:07+00:00

I am running a Surface Pro 2 with build 17134.167.  There is an external USB HUB with a Dell monitor, mouse and audio connected to the HUB.  After the last 1803 update, the display driver fails to load and the external display is not recognized, although it works.  The Control Panel Device Manager also shows that the unit is not recognized as a Surface model with the keyboard and unit displaying caution icons.  Associated drivers imply that they are for a Surface Pro 4.  The system appears to work, but it has issues.  All updates have been through automatic updates, so I do not understand the Surface Pro 4 designations.  

I have tried to update drivers when allowed and that fails with the system telling me that the installed drivers are up to date.

Am I doomed to perform a reinstall, or is there another solution.  Evidentially I have no recovery files, although I am sure that I made some.

Surface | Surface Pro | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-07-19T19:47:47+00:00

    Not irritated at you, sorry if you took my comments personally.  Just frustration on my part.  I'm pretty diligent about keeping my machines clean and up to date.  May need to reconsider allowing automatic updates to run unchecked.

    Thanks for all the help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-07-20T12:34:57+00:00

    won't detect an external monitor, but the monitor works.

    HDMI?  FWIW since W10 FCU I have had to switch to VGA (actually using an HDMI-VGA converter while keeping the Surface HDMI adapter.)  Also, I switched to using Intel's generic video driver.  However, you have just reminded me that I don't know if either of these are still necessary since 1803 (which only happened recently for my Surface 2 Pro).

    can't refresh the drivers because the system indicates that they are up to date. 

    That sounds like a better technique should be tried.  E.g. imagine that you have the SP2 drivers still installed, so then you can override Windows 10 choices by using the Browse my computer... Let me pick... method.  Similarly this is the way to go for the Intel generic driver, after downloading and expanding its .zip file (not using an installer).

    How did you manage to get your machine looking like an SP4?  That sounds strange.  FWIW this is all I see using WMIC with the Screen cover attached but not operational (because I keep my Tablet always in Portrait orientation).

    wmic:root\cli>sysdriver where (Name like "Surface%") list brief

    DisplayName                                Name                      Started  State    Status

    Surface Accessory Device Service           SurfaceAccessoryDevice    TRUE     Running  OK

    Surface Integration Driver                 SurfaceIntegrationDriver  TRUE     Running  OK

    Surface Touch Cover Filter Device Service  SurfaceTouchCover         TRUE     Running  OK

    This might help too

    wmic:root\cli>csproduct get Name, Version

    Name           Version

    Surface Pro 2  1

    FWIW I haven't tried the SDT for a while but the last time I did it would not recognize my SP2.  I remember looking at a .ps2 file and seeing that it explicitly inhibited support.  Maybe your SP4 stuff was a way to fix that issue.  (I had used one much earlier and saw that it would try to update drivers.)  Again, strange.  I may try it again to confirm my recollections.

    FYI

    Robert Aldwinckle


    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-07-20T21:34:15+00:00

    I think that I'm getting to the bottom of the problem.  I recently did an update to the system BIOS and somehow the BIOS I loaded was for a Surface Pro 4.  If I look at the system information, the system thinks that it is a 4.  Now the unit thinks that it is a Pro 4 but the mounted drivers are for a Pro 2, so when it tries to load a driver I get "Driver not migrated" messages.

    My question now is how do I reload the correct BIOS.  I've been to several sites and they all say that you cannot manually load a BIOS image.  I've downloaded the files, just don't know where to go from here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-07-21T04:27:23+00:00

    somehow the BIOS I loaded was for a Surface Pro 4

    Yikes.  I don't really want to even speculate about fixing that.  But in case it will help here is my BIOS details (without the SerialNumber)

    wmic:root\cli>BIOS list /format:list

    BiosCharacteristics={7,11,12,15,16,17,19,23,24,25,26,28,29,32,33,40,42,43}

    BuildNumber=

    CodeSet=

    CurrentLanguage=en|US|iso8859-1

    Description=2.05.0250

    IdentificationCode=

    InstallableLanguages=1

    InstallDate=

    LanguageEdition=

    ListOfLanguages={"en|US|iso8859-1"}

    Manufacturer=American Megatrends Inc.

    Name=2.05.0250

    OtherTargetOS=

    PrimaryBIOS=TRUE

    ReleaseDate=20150410000000.000000+000

    SerialNumber=<redacted>

    SMBIOSBIOSVersion=2.05.0250

    SMBIOSMajorVersion=2

    SMBIOSMinorVersion=7

    SMBIOSPresent=TRUE

    SoftwareElementID=2.05.0250

    SoftwareElementState=3

    Status=OK

    TargetOperatingSystem=0

    Version=OEMA - 1072009

    According to BIOS /?  there is a BIOS Create function but no Set function.  I don't know what that implies exactly but I would be hopeful that Create might have the same effect as a Set (or perhaps Delete + Create would).

    HTH

    Robert


    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Barb Bowman 80,815 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2018-07-21T09:58:18+00:00

    Exactly how did you do this?

    > I recently did an update to the system BIOS and somehow the BIOS I loaded was for a Surface Pro 4.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments