Surface Pro 2 system issues

Anonymous
2018-07-18T17:10:07+00:00

I am running a Surface Pro 2 with build 17134.167.  There is an external USB HUB with a Dell monitor, mouse and audio connected to the HUB.  After the last 1803 update, the display driver fails to load and the external display is not recognized, although it works.  The Control Panel Device Manager also shows that the unit is not recognized as a Surface model with the keyboard and unit displaying caution icons.  Associated drivers imply that they are for a Surface Pro 4.  The system appears to work, but it has issues.  All updates have been through automatic updates, so I do not understand the Surface Pro 4 designations.  

I have tried to update drivers when allowed and that fails with the system telling me that the installed drivers are up to date.

Am I doomed to perform a reinstall, or is there another solution.  Evidentially I have no recovery files, although I am sure that I made some.

Surface | Surface Pro | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-07-25T01:00:19+00:00

    My bad, the SurfaceProUeFI_20500FA file is a .cap.

    That's one that I have.  Where all did it go?  It looks like the download is just copied directly without being "unpacked" further.  So, how would it be used?  My guess would be parametericly, which then would be another reason for getting your WMI database fixed.

    PS>cd\

    PS>LS -RE -Fi *.cap -Fo -EA:SilentlyContinue | ft LastWriteTime, Length, FullName -AutoSize -Wrap

    LastWriteTime       Length   FullName

    -------------       ------   --------

    2018-07-10 19:07:36          C:\Users\Rob\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.CapturePicker_cw5n1h2txyewy

    2018-02-17 09:14:50 659456   C:\Users\Rob\Downloads\SurfacePro2_Win10_160501_2\SurfacePro2_Win10_160501_2\Firmware\EC\SurfaceProEC_240150.cap

    2018-02-17 09:14:50 909312   C:\Users\Rob\Downloads\SurfacePro2_Win10_160501_2\SurfacePro2_Win10_160501_2\Firmware\SAM\SurfaceProSAM_2040450.cap

    2018-02-17 09:14:50 16781312 C:\Users\Rob\Downloads\SurfacePro2_Win10_160501_2\SurfacePro2_Win10_160501_2\Firmware\UEFI\SurfaceProUEFI_20500FA.cap

    2018-07-10 19:33:20          C:\Users\Robert\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.CapturePicker_cw5n1h2txyewy

    2014-04-10 22:22:06 659456   C:\Windows\Firmware\SurfaceProEC_240150.cap

    2015-11-18 00:27:28 909312   C:\Windows\Firmware\SurfaceProSAM_2040450.cap

    2015-04-14 00:46:34 16781312 C:\Windows\Firmware\SurfaceProUEFI_20500FA.cap

    2014-04-10 22:22:06 659456   C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\surfaceproec.inf_amd64_6745a8f966a5f1a7\SurfaceProEC_240150.cap

    2015-11-18 00:27:28 909312   C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\surfaceprosam.inf_amd64_f96802d31b5b2b4c\SurfaceProSAM_2040450.cap

    2015-04-14 00:46:34 16781312 C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\surfaceprouefi.inf_amd64_c28d4717715eed35\SurfaceProUEFI_20500FA.cap

    2018-07-10 18:46:43          C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.CapturePicker_cw5n1h2txyewy

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments