Surface Pro 2 system issues

Anonymous
2018-07-18T17:10:07+00:00

I am running a Surface Pro 2 with build 17134.167.  There is an external USB HUB with a Dell monitor, mouse and audio connected to the HUB.  After the last 1803 update, the display driver fails to load and the external display is not recognized, although it works.  The Control Panel Device Manager also shows that the unit is not recognized as a Surface model with the keyboard and unit displaying caution icons.  Associated drivers imply that they are for a Surface Pro 4.  The system appears to work, but it has issues.  All updates have been through automatic updates, so I do not understand the Surface Pro 4 designations.  

I have tried to update drivers when allowed and that fails with the system telling me that the installed drivers are up to date.

Am I doomed to perform a reinstall, or is there another solution.  Evidentially I have no recovery files, although I am sure that I made some.

Surface | Surface Pro | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Barb Bowman 80,815 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2018-07-18T18:50:52+00:00

    see if the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4037239/surface-fix-common-surface-problems-using-surface-diagnostic-toolkit

    does anything to help.

    You can download a recovery image -

    Go to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/surfacerecoveryimage   (with a

    different Windows computer if yours is not working properly)  and download a

    recovery image for your Surface. You will need a 16GB USB stick formatted FAT32.

    Unzip/extract the recovery zip to the formatted USB stick and then-

    To reset your Surface from a USB recovery drive:

    Step 1:    Make sure your Surface is turned off and plugged in (hold down the power

    button for 30 seconds).

    Step 2:     Insert the USB recovery drive into the USB port on your Surface.

    Step 3:    Press and hold the volume-down button while you press and release the

    power button on your Surface.

    Step 4:     When the Surface logo appears, release the volume button.

    Step 5:    When prompted, select the language and keyboard layout you want.

    Step 6:     Select Troubleshoot > Reset your PC.

    If prompted for a recovery key, select Skip this drive at the bottom of

    the screen.

    Step 7:     Select the target operating system you wish to reset. This

    refers to the current operating system installed on your Surface.

    Step 8:    Select Yes, repartition the drives, and on the next page, select Next.

    Step 9:     Choose Just remove my files.

    Step 10:    Select Reset.

    Surface restarts and the Surface logo displays while the reset process

    continues (this can take a while).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-07-19T14:01:35+00:00

    Interestingly enough, my system restore function is enabled, but when I attempt to restore, the system tells me that there are no restore points.  Seems unlikely, but does the 1803 build delete old points?

    Anyway, the system is working, just acting strangely at times. It won't detect an external monitor, but the monitor works.  I just can't change resolution or other functions.  Likewise it can't detect the keyboard cover, but it works as well.  It also doesn't recognize the tablet, which is strange.  When I look at the drivers, they appear to be for a Surface Pro 4 and I believe that is part of the problem since mine is a Pro 2.  Unfortunately, I can't refresh the drivers because the system indicates that they are up to date.  There is no .msi program available for the Pro 2, so reloading the Pro 2 drivers would be painstaking with little guarantee that I'd catch all of them.

    I'm reluctant to lay down a new image because of the loss of all my Apps, but it may come to that in the end.  If any other suggestions come to mind, please pass them on.  

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Barb Bowman 80,815 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2018-07-19T15:19:12+00:00

    >Seems unlikely, but does the 1803 build delete old points?

    >

    after a feature update, like the one to 1803, previous restore points are

    deleted. restore points SINCE the install of 1803 should be available.

    >

    >Anyway, the system is working, just acting strangely at times. It won't detect an external monitor, but the monitor works.  I just can't change resolution or other functions.  Likewise it can't detect the keyboard cover, but it works as well.  It also doesn't recognize the tablet, which is strange.  When I look at the drivers, they appear to be for a Surface Pro 4 and I believe that is part of the problem since mine is a Pro 2.

    What happened when you ran the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4037239/surface-fix-common-surface-problems-using-surface-diagnostic-toolkit

    ?

    >I'm reluctant to lay down a new image because of the loss of all my Apps, but it may come to that in the end.

    You may have to do this if the SDT can't find and fix software issues.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-07-19T16:48:33+00:00

    Sorry, never answered your question earlier regarding the SDT.  Unfortunately, I executed the SDT and left it running.  When I returned some time later, it had completed and requested a reboot.  Upon completion of that, things hadn't changed.   Things worked, but the drivers were still incorrect.  These are mature drivers for this product and I'm confused as to why they should have changed that much.

    As far as reloading a new image, I'm concerned that if the update loaded the incorrect drivers, why should I expect the refreshed image to do anything different.  I'm under the impression that Microsoft has forsaken the Pro 2 due to its age in favor of the Pro 3 and 4 versions.  At this point I'd switch to Apple, except that I'm adverse to the Apple ecosystem.

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Barb Bowman 80,815 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2018-07-19T17:54:52+00:00

    I'm a volunteer and don't work for Microsoft. I'm trying to help you. I can't

    speculate on what happened. If you use the image, it will not be the Current

    Windows 10. You would indeed have to go through Windows Update and go through

    several rounds of updates. But in the end, you should have the correct Surface

    drivers.

    You could certainly try going to

    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49042 and download the

    SurfacePro2_Win10_160501_2.zip then extract it and right click each inf file and

    INSTALL. That would be less destructive than a complete reimage and update.

    I really don't have any other suggestions.

    > I'm concerned that if the update loaded the incorrect drivers, why should I expect the refreshed image to do anything different.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments