Surface Pro 2 system issues

Anonymous
2018-07-18T17:10:07+00:00

I am running a Surface Pro 2 with build 17134.167.  There is an external USB HUB with a Dell monitor, mouse and audio connected to the HUB.  After the last 1803 update, the display driver fails to load and the external display is not recognized, although it works.  The Control Panel Device Manager also shows that the unit is not recognized as a Surface model with the keyboard and unit displaying caution icons.  Associated drivers imply that they are for a Surface Pro 4.  The system appears to work, but it has issues.  All updates have been through automatic updates, so I do not understand the Surface Pro 4 designations.  

I have tried to update drivers when allowed and that fails with the system telling me that the installed drivers are up to date.

Am I doomed to perform a reinstall, or is there another solution.  Evidentially I have no recovery files, although I am sure that I made some.

Surface | Surface Pro | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Barb Bowman 80,815 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2018-07-22T11:56:24+00:00

    crawl, walk run. want him to just try using the inf's. if that does not work,

    the next step AFTER that is to uninstall from device manager AND delete when

    prompted but not reboot. install all from inf files and then reboot and see what

    has changed.

    >What would happen if he deleted the broken settings?  CSPRODUCT and BIOS both have Delete as a possible function

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-07-22T11:08:51+00:00

    If it checks the version, it probably will not.

    The fact that he was able to use the SDT would be an instance where something does check and apparently checks broken settings.  What would happen if he deleted the broken settings?  CSPRODUCT and BIOS both have Delete as a possible function.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Barb Bowman 80,815 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2018-07-22T09:32:21+00:00

    I don't know if it will load/install. If it checks the version, it probably will

    not. But my opinion is that since Microsoft offers an INF that it is worth

    trying. They would not offer an INF file if it were not possible to install this

    way.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-07-21T19:49:27+00:00

    I really hope that it the case.  Just makes me wonder why MS says that you cannot manually load a new BIOS image and never created an .msi to do all of this like with newer versions of the Surface Pro.  I'm not doubting your expertise.  I'm just concerned that I'll end up with a brick if things don't go well.  There aren't any "do overs" after destroying your BIOS.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-07-21T19:43:02+00:00

    So it's your opinion that executing the SurfaceProUEFI.inf and installing the file that the correct BIOS will be Flashed?  I hope that this is true.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments