Surface Pro 2 system issues

Anonymous
2018-07-18T17:10:07+00:00

I am running a Surface Pro 2 with build 17134.167.  There is an external USB HUB with a Dell monitor, mouse and audio connected to the HUB.  After the last 1803 update, the display driver fails to load and the external display is not recognized, although it works.  The Control Panel Device Manager also shows that the unit is not recognized as a Surface model with the keyboard and unit displaying caution icons.  Associated drivers imply that they are for a Surface Pro 4.  The system appears to work, but it has issues.  All updates have been through automatic updates, so I do not understand the Surface Pro 4 designations.  

I have tried to update drivers when allowed and that fails with the system telling me that the installed drivers are up to date.

Am I doomed to perform a reinstall, or is there another solution.  Evidentially I have no recovery files, although I am sure that I made some.

Surface | Surface Pro | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-07-22T16:41:36+00:00

    So....the consensus is that I run the SurfaceProUEFI.inf file and cross my fingers?  What about the SurfaceProSAM.inf in the SAM folder and the SurfaceProEC.inf in the EC folder?  If I do those as well, what is the sequence?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Barb Bowman 80,815 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2018-07-22T15:59:32+00:00

    Yes, but you are probably confusing the OP with extraneous information.

    >I'm showing what a Surface 2 Pro has in its INF directory.  BTW I just found out I can pipe to ISE to have each one opened in it.  That makes it even easier to check them

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-07-22T15:43:07+00:00

    NO. I am talking about the infs in the ZIP file.

    I guessed that.  I'm showing what a Surface 2 Pro has in its INF directory.  BTW I just found out I can pipe to ISE to have each one opened in it.  That makes it even easier to check them.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Barb Bowman 80,815 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2018-07-22T15:25:23+00:00

    NO. I am talking about the infs in the ZIP file. Not the ones already on the

    Surface.

    > want him to just try using the inf's.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-07-22T15:02:59+00:00

    want him to just try using the inf's.

    OK.  I just checked those.  I thought they were more parameterized.

    PS>dir -Re *.inf -Fo -EA:SilentlyContinue |% {if (GC "$_" -EA:SilentlyContinue | sls "Surface") { echo $_.FullName } }

    C:\windows\inf\errata.inf

    C:\windows\inf\msux64w10.inf

    C:\windows\inf\oem10.inf

    C:\windows\inf\oem103.inf

    C:\windows\inf\oem114.inf

    C:\windows\inf\oem117.inf

    C:\windows\inf\oem127.inf

    C:\windows\inf\oem13.inf

    C:\windows\inf\oem142.inf

    C:\windows\inf\oem144.inf

    C:\windows\inf\oem145.inf

    C:\windows\inf\oem148.inf

    C:\windows\inf\oem166.inf

    C:\windows\inf\oem180.inf

    C:\windows\inf\oem183.inf

    C:\windows\inf\oem208.inf

    C:\windows\inf\oem22.inf

    C:\windows\inf\oem230.inf

    C:\windows\inf\oem25.inf

    C:\windows\inf\oem78.inf

    C:\windows\inf\oem91.inf

    C:\windows\inf\oem96.inf

    PS>ise

    Doublechecked to make sure there weren't any more in some subdirectories.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments