Surface Pro 2 system issues

Anonymous
2018-07-18T17:10:07+00:00

I am running a Surface Pro 2 with build 17134.167.  There is an external USB HUB with a Dell monitor, mouse and audio connected to the HUB.  After the last 1803 update, the display driver fails to load and the external display is not recognized, although it works.  The Control Panel Device Manager also shows that the unit is not recognized as a Surface model with the keyboard and unit displaying caution icons.  Associated drivers imply that they are for a Surface Pro 4.  The system appears to work, but it has issues.  All updates have been through automatic updates, so I do not understand the Surface Pro 4 designations.  

I have tried to update drivers when allowed and that fails with the system telling me that the installed drivers are up to date.

Am I doomed to perform a reinstall, or is there another solution.  Evidentially I have no recovery files, although I am sure that I made some.

Surface | Surface Pro | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-07-24T00:25:17+00:00

    If using wmic:root\cli>csproduct list full:

    Description=Computer System Product

    IdentifyingNumber=[Redacted]

    Name=Surface Pro 2

    SKUNumber=

    UUID=2BFAD366-F2BB-F143-5198-92033DB687D4

    Vendor=Microsoft Corporation

    Version=1

    Your Version number makes it look like there is corruption, not just incorrect values.  I'm wondering if whatever it is that did this could have just stopped at this phase and not actually damaged your BIOS.  Also, I wonder if the UUID gives a more specific clue about what it could have been but I can't tell if it is product specific or machine specific.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-07-23T21:58:29+00:00

    If using wmic:root\cli>csproduct list full:

    Description=Computer System Product

    IdentifyingNumber=[Redacted]

    Name=Surface Pro 4

    SKUNumber=

    UUID=38BEF5F5-9784-6644-4F3E-C91730606056

    Vendor=Microsoft Corporation

    Version=D:0B:08F:1C:03P:38

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-07-23T21:55:31+00:00

    Robert,

    Under ChassisSKUNumber, I get:  CIM_String   <NULL>

    Under Model, I get:                       CIM_String    Surface Pro 4

    Under SystemSKUNumber I get:   CIM_String    Surface Pro 4

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-07-23T17:27:59+00:00

    I installed the SurfaceProUEFI.inf.  The system claimed that the installation was successful, but that message came back almost immediately.  I'm an old EE and I know that it takes longer than that to flash a ROM.  I did the reboot and nothing had changed.  Noting this lack of success, I didn't bother with the other two.

    I imagine there could be other changes from doing that, e.g. registry and file changes, so then doing the other two could cause further differences.   To try to find out the full effect you could trace each one with ProcMon, filtering with Category Is Write.  If you are at the point of re-imaging you should have nothing to lose by being more radical with your experiments.  For example, in particular, I would be optimistic about seeing something useful happen from doing the deletes in WMIC that I mentioned.

    Serendipity.   Searching on this tack I have just learned about  WBEMTEST  as a more complete diagnostic.  For example, after following the instructions in the answer of this thread I found that I have 

    ChassisSKUNumber  CIM_STRING  Surface_Pro_2  

    What's yours?

    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/systemcenter/en-US/6c0668db-b3e8-4515-a0a4-b2a73304babf/csproduct-get-name-not-returning-model

    (BING search for

        site:technet.microsoft.com wmic delete aliases BIOS CSPRODUCT

    )

    Good luck

    Robert


    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Barb Bowman 80,815 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2018-07-23T14:39:21+00:00

    They would direct you to open a support case (which would result in them telling

    you to reimage the device as a first step). And you can't even exchange a

    Surface Pro 2 as it is marked as discontinued and there is a sticky posted at

    the top of this forum about changes in support stating Microsoft reps will no

    longer provide technical replies in SP2. MY interpretation is that Microsoft is

    sending a not so subtle message.

    I'm sorry..

    >Is there no one at MS that you could tap to get any insight?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments