Surface Pro 2 system issues

Anonymous
2018-07-18T17:10:07+00:00

I am running a Surface Pro 2 with build 17134.167.  There is an external USB HUB with a Dell monitor, mouse and audio connected to the HUB.  After the last 1803 update, the display driver fails to load and the external display is not recognized, although it works.  The Control Panel Device Manager also shows that the unit is not recognized as a Surface model with the keyboard and unit displaying caution icons.  Associated drivers imply that they are for a Surface Pro 4.  The system appears to work, but it has issues.  All updates have been through automatic updates, so I do not understand the Surface Pro 4 designations.  

I have tried to update drivers when allowed and that fails with the system telling me that the installed drivers are up to date.

Am I doomed to perform a reinstall, or is there another solution.  Evidentially I have no recovery files, although I am sure that I made some.

Surface | Surface Pro | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-07-24T17:29:03+00:00

    can't unpack the .cab files for the Surface Pro 2

    Explain please.  If you have a .cab file you could use the expand utility to open it.

    something terminating the installation of the SurfaceProUEFI.inf file.

    ProcMon could give you some clues about that.

    The Registry HKEY_LOCAL_HARDWARE DESCRIPTION /SYSTEM /SYSTEMBIOSVERSION .

    OEMA - 1072009

    2.05.0250

    American Megatrends - 4028E

    The Panther files will be associated with your last cumulative update.

    Setupact.log contains this

    2018-07-10 16:02:56, Info                  SP     Host system information:

                                       VM: NO

                                       Firmware type: UEFI

                                       Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation

                                       Model : Surface Pro 2

                                       BIOS name : 2.05.0250

                                       BIOS version : 2.05.0250

                                       BIOS release date : 20150410000000.000000+000

                                       Total memory : 8589934592

                                       Number of physical CPUs : 1

                                       Number of logical CPUs : 4

                                       Processor manufacturer : GenuineIntel

                                       Processor name : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4300U CPU @ 1.90GHz

                                       Processor caption : Intel64 Family 6 Model 69 Stepping 1

                                       Processor architecture : x64

                                       Processor clock : 2501

    BTW are you sure that you didn't get an SP4 as a replacement for your original SP2?  That would be a simple explanation for your peculiar symptoms.   ; )

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Barb Bowman 80,815 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2018-07-24T15:28:56+00:00

    a complete wipe and reimage will fix software errors (not firmware), and if you

    think it is something in the registry on drivers, you will at least be at a

    known good starting point.

    as for the recovery image page offering you an SP4 image instead of an SP2, that

    is very strange.

    >Silly question, won't reimaging my Surface just reinstall Windows or is the "Reset" option something different?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-07-24T15:18:16+00:00

    Silly question, won't reimaging my Surface just reinstall Windows or is the "Reset" option something different?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-07-24T15:07:27+00:00

    Interesting enough, I was trying to download a recovery image for my unit from MS.  When asked for my device and serial number, I filled in the blanks.  The web site than responded with "Surface Pro 4 - 256GB i5 8GB - Windows 10 Version 1703", even though I definitely indicated that my unit was a Pro 2 and it had the serial number which should have confirmed it.  According to Barb, MS isn't supporting this device anymore.  Guess this proves that point.

    When I tried to execute the download, the page hung, so I guess the topic is mute.  Haven't tried to see if my recovery partition is intact or not.  If it's corrupt, then I'm screwed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-07-24T14:17:56+00:00

    That may be, but it doesn't help me get back.

    As I mentioned to Barb, I believe that the .bin files in the C:\Windows\Firmware directory are Surface Pro 4 files and not the .bin files that should reside there.  I can't unpack the .cab files for the Surface Pro 2, so I'm really not sure.  There's obviously something terminating the installation of the SurfaceProUEFI.inf file.  There is most likely a Registry key someplace that's the culprit.  I never get any fault message though, just a message that the process was completed successfully.

    The Registry HKEY_LOCAL_HARDWARE DESCRIPTION /SYSTEM /SYSTEMBIOSVERSION Type is listed as REG_MULTI_SZ and the Date is MSFT - 0 108.1926.769 MSFT - 10000

    While poking around in the Registry, I noticed a file called "Panther" in the Windows directory.  The files in that directory appear to be associated with rollback.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments