On-screen keyboard does not display in tablet mode - Surface Pro

Anonymous
2013-02-13T07:57:49+00:00

I am having trouble getting the onscreen keyboard to display when my Surface Pro is not connected to its type cover.

I noticed this when I was in the Metro UI.  The issue occurs when I select the search option from the charms menu.  Once I do this, the onscreen keyboard does not appear, so, I am unable to type anything into the search box.

This also occurs when I attempt to access the Surface Pro from sleep mode.  The password box appears, but, I cannot input into it without the onscreen keyboard.

I have already tried the refresh option - it did not work.

Any thoughts on a fix for this issue?

Surface | Surface Pro | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-09-19T15:45:17+00:00

I am having trouble getting the onscreen keyboard to display when my Surface Pro is not connected to its type cover.

I noticed this when I was in the Metro UI.  The issue occurs when I select the search option from the charms menu.  Once I do this, the onscreen keyboard does not appear, so, I am unable to type anything into the search box.

This also occurs when I attempt to access the Surface Pro from sleep mode.  The password box appears, but, I cannot input into it without the onscreen keyboard.

I have already tried the refresh option - it did not work.

Any thoughts on a fix for this issue?

Hi. I had the same problem and it was really bugging me but I finally got it sorted. Basically, while your in laptop mode press the little keyboard icon (at the bottom right of the screen where the time is) and the on-screen keyboard should come up. Without pressing 'x' on the on-screen keyboard, un-clip your real keyboard so it turns into tablet mode. Now you can press 'x' and go onto the internet or something to test out whether it worked or not. Press on the search bar and it should come up. I had to do it twice but it worked. Hope this helped someone.

Was this answer helpful?

60+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-02-13T09:11:34+00:00

when waking it from sleep, only remove the keyboard when the lockscreen is displayed. Thus is also a bug with the surface rt when waking from connected standby.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-02-14T14:40:40+00:00

    I have the same issue. Here is what I could find out.

    The Virtual "Windows" Key is in a state of being permanently pressed.

     I was able to determine this by accessing the other keyboard on the login screen, the one under Accessibility. This keyboard shows a windows key and, for me, it's always pressed.

    Once this keyboard is up on screen I can enter my password, but nothing is really fixed. Once I am logged in, I still cannot enter text into text fields without triggering the standard Windows Key Shortcuts, like Win-e for explorer or Win-r for Run.

    If I attach a Keyboard, then the problem seems to go away until the next time the Surface goes to sleep or I log out - even with the Keyboard attached, I get the same problem again when the Surface wakes up.

    I spoke with MS support about this issue and their solution is to just replace my unit.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-02-14T15:27:58+00:00

    Is this the left or right Windows key? I have seen a few forums that state pressing the stuck key 12 times will sometimes unstick it. Can you try this? Obviously, a physical keyboard needs to be attached to test this when it wakes from sleep.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-02-14T16:18:27+00:00

    Is this the left or right Windows key? I have seen a few forums that state pressing the stuck key 12 times will sometimes unstick it. Can you try this? Obviously, a physical keyboard needs to be attached to test this when it wakes from sleep.

    It is the Left Windows Key.

    I will try when I get home tonight and let you know if that worked.

    Additional Information: This problem started yesterday morning, coincidentally when the Surface updated. I tried rolling back all Updates that were applied yesterday, but it didn't seem to make any difference.

    I combed through all the settings in the control panel, turning off Sticky Keys, Mouse Keys, etc. but nothing made a difference.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments