On-screen keyboard does not display in tablet mode - Surface Pro

Anonymous
2013-02-13T07:57:49+00:00

I am having trouble getting the onscreen keyboard to display when my Surface Pro is not connected to its type cover.

I noticed this when I was in the Metro UI.  The issue occurs when I select the search option from the charms menu.  Once I do this, the onscreen keyboard does not appear, so, I am unable to type anything into the search box.

This also occurs when I attempt to access the Surface Pro from sleep mode.  The password box appears, but, I cannot input into it without the onscreen keyboard.

I have already tried the refresh option - it did not work.

Any thoughts on a fix for this issue?

Surface | Surface Pro | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-09-19T15:45:17+00:00

I am having trouble getting the onscreen keyboard to display when my Surface Pro is not connected to its type cover.

I noticed this when I was in the Metro UI.  The issue occurs when I select the search option from the charms menu.  Once I do this, the onscreen keyboard does not appear, so, I am unable to type anything into the search box.

This also occurs when I attempt to access the Surface Pro from sleep mode.  The password box appears, but, I cannot input into it without the onscreen keyboard.

I have already tried the refresh option - it did not work.

Any thoughts on a fix for this issue?

Hi. I had the same problem and it was really bugging me but I finally got it sorted. Basically, while your in laptop mode press the little keyboard icon (at the bottom right of the screen where the time is) and the on-screen keyboard should come up. Without pressing 'x' on the on-screen keyboard, un-clip your real keyboard so it turns into tablet mode. Now you can press 'x' and go onto the internet or something to test out whether it worked or not. Press on the search bar and it should come up. I had to do it twice but it worked. Hope this helped someone.

Was this answer helpful?

60+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-02-13T09:11:34+00:00

when waking it from sleep, only remove the keyboard when the lockscreen is displayed. Thus is also a bug with the surface rt when waking from connected standby.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-03-06T16:01:21+00:00

    OMG the magic 15. It does work now. Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-02-28T10:55:35+00:00

    OMG, thank you for this post.  This solved my problem I've posted about as well.  I'm now getting my touch keyboard in all the proper places again.  Man I have to close out my other post with a reference to this one.

    THANK YOU VERY MUCH

    DD

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-02-23T19:11:20+00:00

    I was experiencing similar issues. Onscreen keyboard does not appear automatically and type cover does not always work unless I detach and reattach until it works. I also noticed today that the screen orientation was locked even when the keyboard was not attached. Called Microsoft and they had me install optional updates. After a restart all keyboards were working for a short time, but then started having issues again. Support person then had me go into device manager and check the keyboard driver. However, there were no options showing under the keyboard properties. They had me do a refresh and then a total factory reset and neither fixed the issue. They said there must be an issue with the imaging that is messing with the drivers. Support tried to find a replacement at my local Best Buy store, but it looks like there are none in the state. They will be shipping me a replacement and hopefully I will see it in a few days. I love the surface pro and am hoping that my replacement unit woks properly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments