On-screen keyboard does not display in tablet mode - Surface Pro

Anonymous
2013-02-13T07:57:49+00:00

I am having trouble getting the onscreen keyboard to display when my Surface Pro is not connected to its type cover.

I noticed this when I was in the Metro UI.  The issue occurs when I select the search option from the charms menu.  Once I do this, the onscreen keyboard does not appear, so, I am unable to type anything into the search box.

This also occurs when I attempt to access the Surface Pro from sleep mode.  The password box appears, but, I cannot input into it without the onscreen keyboard.

I have already tried the refresh option - it did not work.

Any thoughts on a fix for this issue?

Surface | Surface Pro | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-09-19T15:45:17+00:00

I am having trouble getting the onscreen keyboard to display when my Surface Pro is not connected to its type cover.

I noticed this when I was in the Metro UI.  The issue occurs when I select the search option from the charms menu.  Once I do this, the onscreen keyboard does not appear, so, I am unable to type anything into the search box.

This also occurs when I attempt to access the Surface Pro from sleep mode.  The password box appears, but, I cannot input into it without the onscreen keyboard.

I have already tried the refresh option - it did not work.

Any thoughts on a fix for this issue?

Hi. I had the same problem and it was really bugging me but I finally got it sorted. Basically, while your in laptop mode press the little keyboard icon (at the bottom right of the screen where the time is) and the on-screen keyboard should come up. Without pressing 'x' on the on-screen keyboard, un-clip your real keyboard so it turns into tablet mode. Now you can press 'x' and go onto the internet or something to test out whether it worked or not. Press on the search bar and it should come up. I had to do it twice but it worked. Hope this helped someone.

Was this answer helpful?

60+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-02-13T09:11:34+00:00

when waking it from sleep, only remove the keyboard when the lockscreen is displayed. Thus is also a bug with the surface rt when waking from connected standby.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-03-08T19:43:08+00:00

    This should be the new Surface pro commercial....bunch of geeks sitting around the table and attaching and detaching touch covers. My Surface Pro lasted almost 3 days....Touch pad didn't work, on screen keyboard didn't work unless I had to manually get it out. I spent long time with a tech trying out everything with and without the touch pad.....refresh...factory reset...attach and detach....didn't do any break dancing...

    I packed it up and returned for a refund.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-03-08T07:56:27+00:00

    Well hang on now, there could be a built-in reset that is signaled by this action.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-03-07T02:13:07+00:00

    But does this make sense? Attach keyboard 15 times? Really? Maybe holding it over my head and chanting will work too?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments