On-screen keyboard does not display in tablet mode - Surface Pro

Anonymous
2013-02-13T07:57:49+00:00

I am having trouble getting the onscreen keyboard to display when my Surface Pro is not connected to its type cover.

I noticed this when I was in the Metro UI.  The issue occurs when I select the search option from the charms menu.  Once I do this, the onscreen keyboard does not appear, so, I am unable to type anything into the search box.

This also occurs when I attempt to access the Surface Pro from sleep mode.  The password box appears, but, I cannot input into it without the onscreen keyboard.

I have already tried the refresh option - it did not work.

Any thoughts on a fix for this issue?

Surface | Surface Pro | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-09-19T15:45:17+00:00

I am having trouble getting the onscreen keyboard to display when my Surface Pro is not connected to its type cover.

I noticed this when I was in the Metro UI.  The issue occurs when I select the search option from the charms menu.  Once I do this, the onscreen keyboard does not appear, so, I am unable to type anything into the search box.

This also occurs when I attempt to access the Surface Pro from sleep mode.  The password box appears, but, I cannot input into it without the onscreen keyboard.

I have already tried the refresh option - it did not work.

Any thoughts on a fix for this issue?

Hi. I had the same problem and it was really bugging me but I finally got it sorted. Basically, while your in laptop mode press the little keyboard icon (at the bottom right of the screen where the time is) and the on-screen keyboard should come up. Without pressing 'x' on the on-screen keyboard, un-clip your real keyboard so it turns into tablet mode. Now you can press 'x' and go onto the internet or something to test out whether it worked or not. Press on the search bar and it should come up. I had to do it twice but it worked. Hope this helped someone.

Was this answer helpful?

60+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-02-13T09:11:34+00:00

when waking it from sleep, only remove the keyboard when the lockscreen is displayed. Thus is also a bug with the surface rt when waking from connected standby.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-02-15T18:40:03+00:00

    I can manage to get the Windows Key Unstuck for the current Session by following these steps. The problem still re-occurs everytime the Surface is locked.

    From the Charms bar, initiate a search using Capital Letters (to avoid triggering Keyboard Short Cuts that use the Windows Key). Search for KEYBOARD to get to the On-Screen Keyboard.

    The on-screen keyboard shows the Windows Key is pressed. Pressing the Windows key on the Typepad Keyboard does nothing,

    Detach the TypePad, re-attach it.

    Pressing the Windows Key on the Typepad disengages the Key - the Windows Key is shown as being released on the On-Screenboard.

    Surface functions normally until the system is locked. Upon unlocking, the virtual Windows key is re-pressed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-02-15T16:58:55+00:00

    The on-screen keyboard only shows 1 Windows Key, on the Left Side.

    Pressing this key repeatedly did not result in any change.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-02-14T16:18:27+00:00

    Is this the left or right Windows key? I have seen a few forums that state pressing the stuck key 12 times will sometimes unstick it. Can you try this? Obviously, a physical keyboard needs to be attached to test this when it wakes from sleep.

    It is the Left Windows Key.

    I will try when I get home tonight and let you know if that worked.

    Additional Information: This problem started yesterday morning, coincidentally when the Surface updated. I tried rolling back all Updates that were applied yesterday, but it didn't seem to make any difference.

    I combed through all the settings in the control panel, turning off Sticky Keys, Mouse Keys, etc. but nothing made a difference.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments