On-screen keyboard does not display in tablet mode - Surface Pro

Anonymous
2013-02-13T07:57:49+00:00

I am having trouble getting the onscreen keyboard to display when my Surface Pro is not connected to its type cover.

I noticed this when I was in the Metro UI.  The issue occurs when I select the search option from the charms menu.  Once I do this, the onscreen keyboard does not appear, so, I am unable to type anything into the search box.

This also occurs when I attempt to access the Surface Pro from sleep mode.  The password box appears, but, I cannot input into it without the onscreen keyboard.

I have already tried the refresh option - it did not work.

Any thoughts on a fix for this issue?

Surface | Surface Pro | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-09-19T15:45:17+00:00

I am having trouble getting the onscreen keyboard to display when my Surface Pro is not connected to its type cover.

I noticed this when I was in the Metro UI.  The issue occurs when I select the search option from the charms menu.  Once I do this, the onscreen keyboard does not appear, so, I am unable to type anything into the search box.

This also occurs when I attempt to access the Surface Pro from sleep mode.  The password box appears, but, I cannot input into it without the onscreen keyboard.

I have already tried the refresh option - it did not work.

Any thoughts on a fix for this issue?

Hi. I had the same problem and it was really bugging me but I finally got it sorted. Basically, while your in laptop mode press the little keyboard icon (at the bottom right of the screen where the time is) and the on-screen keyboard should come up. Without pressing 'x' on the on-screen keyboard, un-clip your real keyboard so it turns into tablet mode. Now you can press 'x' and go onto the internet or something to test out whether it worked or not. Press on the search bar and it should come up. I had to do it twice but it worked. Hope this helped someone.

Was this answer helpful?

60+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-02-13T09:11:34+00:00

when waking it from sleep, only remove the keyboard when the lockscreen is displayed. Thus is also a bug with the surface rt when waking from connected standby.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-02-15T22:48:51+00:00

    Set the Surface Pro to log you in automatically when waking from Sleep. See if there is a difference or problem logging back in automatically...This is done from Power Options in the main Control Panel under the Choose what the power buttons do options. I am curious if this issue persists then as well.

    The Windows Key is still Pressed Down continously when waking up from Sleep and automatically loggin back in.

    The Windows Key still only seems to become engaged when putting the surface to sleep by pressing the Power button.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-02-15T22:39:35+00:00

    Set the Surface Pro to log you in automatically when waking from Sleep. See if there is a difference or problem logging back in automatically...This is done from Power Options in the main Control Panel under the Choose what the power buttons do options. I am curious if this issue persists then as well.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-02-15T21:23:45+00:00

    I am curious if this behavior can be reproduced.

    I can reproduce the problem by following these steps:

    While logged in, open the On-Screen Keyboard (from Charms bar, search for keyboard.)

    While the keyboard is on-screen, press the power button to goto sleep.

    Press the power button to wake up the Surface.

    The on-screen keyboard should still be visible, and (for me), the Windows key is highlighted.

    I can log in using both the typepad keyboard or the on-screen keyboard, but the main keyboard that slides up from the bottom in inaccessible.

    From there I can detach the keyboard, wait a few seconds, attach the keyboard, wait a few seconds, tap the Windows key a couple of times, and see the Windows Key disengage on the on-screen keyboard.

    If I lock using Win-l or the account picture everything seems to work ok, BUT, if I log out, then press the Power button to turn off the display, THEN the problems comes back.

    So bottom, line, the Windows Key getting stuck seems to be strongly related to using the power button.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments