2/17 firmware update installed, but when I look in Device Manager in the firmware section, I get Code 10

Anonymous
2016-02-20T02:36:42+00:00

Split from this thread.

You may THINK that you have the updates installed but you may NOT:

BUT:

I tried reboots, re-installs, and everything else, but the updates fail to start.

Surface | Surface Book | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-02-21T10:46:44+00:00

    I got the very similar issue, but my Surface EC firmware is okay.

    I got the firmware from Windows Update (I click "Check updates" purposely), I didn't reboot immediately. But before the update got installed, my Surface got BSOD. Then it reboot.

    During the reboot, it looks like the Surface is installing firmware like what ReSurfaceMan say, the system try to install multiple times until it failed.

    Tried to install the MSI and nothing magical happened (DPINST.LOG say all drivers version looks good). Tried to click "Update Driver" in Device Manager, no luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-02-21T12:18:28+00:00

    I had a similar issue on one of my SP4.

    Here is how I resolved it.

    Go to the Device Manager and click each item with the yellow alert.

    Press the delete key or click and Remove the device.

    Close the Device Manager and reboot the machine.

    The firmware update will restart and the devices will be reinstalled.

    This worked for me hopefully it does for you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-02-21T13:34:32+00:00

    Wow, thanks HScotte. It fixed my issues. To be honest, it sounds a bit scary at first.

    To fix it, I use these steps:

    • Open Device Manager
    • Right-click on one of the problematic device, click Uninstall
      • Did not check the "delete driver" checkbox
    • Click "Scan for hardware changes" on top
    • The device comeback but still got an exclamation mark over it
    • Reboot

    Then on reboot, I see the "Please wait while we install a system update".

    Wait a minute or two. It boot back into Windows with the device fixed.

    I did that one-by-one and after 3 reboots, everything is back to normal.

    Thanks again for the tip!

    p.s. when the driver install or reinstall, it set a scheduled job on next reboot to install its firmware, so we are simply forcing it to retry the firmware update

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-02-21T16:03:31+00:00

    Unfortunately mine did not work.  I delete the firmware devices (I also tried deleting the drivers in a desperate attempt to make it work) and reboot.  It boots with the previous firmware drivers.  It then installs (automatically) the new drivers and shows that a reboot is needed to make it work.

    I reboot and it does something that looks like an attempt to load the new firmware.  I see "Please wait while we install..." and a Surface symbol that flashes RED for a second.  However the install progress bar never shows up.

    It then reboots by it self 2 or 3 times and finally boots into the OS.  The drivers show not loaded with the same Code 10 error as before.

    I tried multiple reboots with no luck.

    Did you use any particular order for deleting the devices that triggers an update of the firmware in any particular order?  Do you get RED then YELLOW then CYAN?  Would that make a difference?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-02-21T18:43:27+00:00

    I goes from top to bottom:

    1. Surface Management Engine
    2. Surface System Aggregator Firmware
    3. Surface UEFI

    I think the firmware are color-coded, if I am right:

    • Surface Management Engine is red
    • Surface System Aggregator Firmware is orange/yellow
    • Surface UEFI is blue (takes longer time)

    The "manually installed driver MSI" was installed and I didn't remove it before doing the steps mentioned.

    I did the "two reboots" for Surface Management Engine:

    • Undock from Surface Docking, leave the keyboard base connected
    • Open Device Manager
    • On "Surface Management Engine", press Delete key, leave the checkbox unchecked
    • Reboot, nothing special
    • Open Device Manager
    • "Surface Management Engine" still got an exclamation mark on
    • Reboot the second time
      • BIOS first say, "Please wait while we install a system update", without a progress bar
      • Screen goes black for a few seconds
      • BIOS then say, "Please wait while we install a system update", now with a progress bar
      • When it finish, it reboot
    • Open Device Manager
    • The exclamation mark on "Surface Management Engine" is gone

    Then I proceed to the next one, i.e. Surface System Aggregator Firmware. This time with the "Scan for hardware changes" so I can skip a reboot.

    Hope this help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments