2/17 firmware update installed, but when I look in Device Manager in the firmware section, I get Code 10

Anonymous
2016-02-20T02:36:42+00:00

Split from this thread.

You may THINK that you have the updates installed but you may NOT:

BUT:

I tried reboots, re-installs, and everything else, but the updates fail to start.

Surface | Surface Book | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-02-19T10:22:06+00:00

    "When you roll-back driver in Device Manager, the firmware is not touched. According to the official surface book update history page:

    • Firmware updates cannot be uninstalled or reverted to an earlier version."

    I can confirm that this is correct.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-02-19T08:26:38+00:00

    According to my understandings, the firmware is the actual embedded code loaded onto the chips, the driver is the software .SYS or .DLL that handles the communication between the x86 system and the external chips. Thus, the firmware version must match the driver version, otherwise the device won't work. 

    I had a guess that in Device Manager, it is the driver version shown. And in the boot-up UEFI screen (press power and vol+ to power on the device, but not hold too long), it is the actual firmware version shown. 

    When you roll-back driver in Device Manager, the firmware is not touched. According to the official surface book update history page:

    • Firmware updates cannot be uninstalled or reverted to an earlier version.

    Can you please check both the driver version and the firmware version? See if they match?

    Can somebody from MS confirm (or correct) my guesses?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-02-19T08:01:03+00:00

    You may be tricked in thinking that your updates were successfully installed when they really were NOT:

    ![](http://fud.community.services.support.microsoft.com/Fud/FileDownloadHandler.ashx?fid=7c802d34-1368-43e6-a6ea-e50eea614efd)

    Because when you look into the Device Manager:

    ![](http://fud.community.services.support.microsoft.com/Fud/FileDownloadHandler.ashx?fid=2c873d6f-10bb-4a12-89bd-acac6e6df896)

    I tried many reboots, re-installs, msi downloading, NADA, nothing.  The new firmware will just not start.

    I managed to get it installed correctly in another machine, but it fails in 2 others (I am the %#&&#*$ owner of 3 SBs...).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-02-19T07:56:07+00:00

    Split from this thread.

    Also, you may THINK that you have the updates successfully installed, but they are really NOT:

    BUT when you look in Device Manager:

    I tried reboots (soft, hard, very hard), re-installs, msi install, downloads, NADA!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-02-19T04:38:49+00:00

    Split from this thread.

    Are you sure the updates installed successfully?  Mine reports a firmware update installed, but when I look in Device Manager in the firmware section, I get:

    "This device cannot start. (Code 10)

    Indicates a revision number encountered or specified is not one known by the service. It may be a more recent revision than the service is aware of."

    No way to fix this.  I tried, reboots, re-installs, hard boots, manual firmware installs, downloading the MSI and zip files.... nada.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments