2/17 firmware update installed, but when I look in Device Manager in the firmware section, I get Code 10

Anonymous
2016-02-20T02:36:42+00:00

Split from this thread.

You may THINK that you have the updates installed but you may NOT:

BUT:

I tried reboots, re-installs, and everything else, but the updates fail to start.

Surface | Surface Book | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-02-21T12:18:28+00:00

    I had a similar issue on one of my SP4.

    Here is how I resolved it.

    Go to the Device Manager and click each item with the yellow alert.

    Press the delete key or click and Remove the device.

    Close the Device Manager and reboot the machine.

    The firmware update will restart and the devices will be reinstalled.

    This worked for me hopefully it does for you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-02-21T10:46:44+00:00

    I got the very similar issue, but my Surface EC firmware is okay.

    I got the firmware from Windows Update (I click "Check updates" purposely), I didn't reboot immediately. But before the update got installed, my Surface got BSOD. Then it reboot.

    During the reboot, it looks like the Surface is installing firmware like what ReSurfaceMan say, the system try to install multiple times until it failed.

    Tried to install the MSI and nothing magical happened (DPINST.LOG say all drivers version looks good). Tried to click "Update Driver" in Device Manager, no luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-02-21T10:46:18+00:00

    Here is what firmware is showing up in the bios boot screen:

    UEFI: 88.870.770

    SAM: 88.853.258

    ME: 11.0.0.1183

    EC: 88.855.257

    Touch: 151.45.94.4.26

    In Device Manager I show the latest drivers (UEFI 88.1085.768.0) but with error:

    "This device cannot start. (Code 10)

    Indicates a revision number encountered or specified is not one known by the service. It may be a more recent revision than the service is aware of."

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-02-21T06:50:51+00:00

    What is the firmware version shown in the boot-up BIOS screen?

    Can you please write it down or take a photo?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-02-21T04:52:17+00:00

    I downloaded the latest .msi (SurfaceBook_Win10_160400_2.msi) from the microsoft site.

    After the download completes you get a corrupted signature error and you are prompted to delete the file (you might want to fix this).

    I did not delete the file and instead installed it (bypassing warnings from the OS as the signature is bad).  It installed successfully and I rebooted.  However this did not resolve the problem.  In device manager for all the new firmware updates I still get:

    "This device cannot start. (Code 10)

    Indicates a revision number encountered or specified is not one known by the service. It may be a more recent revision than the service is aware of."

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments