2/17 firmware update installed, but when I look in Device Manager in the firmware section, I get Code 10

Anonymous
2016-02-20T02:36:42+00:00

Split from this thread.

You may THINK that you have the updates installed but you may NOT:

BUT:

I tried reboots, re-installs, and everything else, but the updates fail to start.

Surface | Surface Book | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-02-19T10:40:47+00:00

    Well the way it works for Surface, is that when you update the firmware, a new driver is installed.  You can see this in Device Manager Firmware section.  Then you are requested to do a reboot.  Once you do this, a firmware update is triggered which loads the firmware you just installed to the chips.  This last part fails.  The system tries to load the drivers in the chip but it fails and after multiple reboots goes into a shutdown state.  You can then boot by pressing the power key, and the boot process will proceed but the new firmware is not loaded into the chips.  When you finally get into windows you might see "reboot required" in device manager.  You can reboot and repeat the process but the load still fails.  Finally after 2-3 reboots, in device manager you see:

    "This device cannot start. (Code 10)

    Indicates a revision number encountered or specified is not one known by the service. It may be a more recent revision than the service is aware of."

    This indicates that the new firmware could not be installed.  At the same time, the firmware update shows as successful in Windows Update - which is of course bogus. If you boot into the bios by a two finger reboot, you see the old versions of the firmware installed..

    No fix or useful suggestion from Microsoft yet.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-02-19T10:22:06+00:00

    "When you roll-back driver in Device Manager, the firmware is not touched. According to the official surface book update history page:

    • Firmware updates cannot be uninstalled or reverted to an earlier version."

    I can confirm that this is correct.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-02-19T08:01:03+00:00

    You may be tricked in thinking that your updates were successfully installed when they really were NOT:

    ![](http://fud.community.services.support.microsoft.com/Fud/FileDownloadHandler.ashx?fid=7c802d34-1368-43e6-a6ea-e50eea614efd)

    Because when you look into the Device Manager:

    ![](http://fud.community.services.support.microsoft.com/Fud/FileDownloadHandler.ashx?fid=2c873d6f-10bb-4a12-89bd-acac6e6df896)

    I tried many reboots, re-installs, msi downloading, NADA, nothing.  The new firmware will just not start.

    I managed to get it installed correctly in another machine, but it fails in 2 others (I am the %#&&#*$ owner of 3 SBs...).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-02-19T07:56:07+00:00

    Split from this thread.

    Also, you may THINK that you have the updates successfully installed, but they are really NOT:

    BUT when you look in Device Manager:

    I tried reboots (soft, hard, very hard), re-installs, msi install, downloads, NADA!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-02-19T04:38:49+00:00

    Split from this thread.

    Are you sure the updates installed successfully?  Mine reports a firmware update installed, but when I look in Device Manager in the firmware section, I get:

    "This device cannot start. (Code 10)

    Indicates a revision number encountered or specified is not one known by the service. It may be a more recent revision than the service is aware of."

    No way to fix this.  I tried, reboots, re-installs, hard boots, manual firmware installs, downloading the MSI and zip files.... nada.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments