2/17 firmware update installed, but when I look in Device Manager in the firmware section, I get Code 10

Anonymous
2016-02-20T02:36:42+00:00

Split from this thread.

You may THINK that you have the updates installed but you may NOT:

BUT:

I tried reboots, re-installs, and everything else, but the updates fail to start.

Surface | Surface Book | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-02-24T16:29:57+00:00

    I have a SP4

    here are the infos:

    Embedded Controller: Last Status: C0000058 / Last Version: 19CE0D00

    Management Engine: no such properties

    System Aggregator: no such properties

    Surface UEFI: no such properties

    Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-02-22T17:11:27+00:00

    The 2/17 firmware versions are:

    EC       88.899.256.0  SurfaceEC.inf  

    ME       11.0.0.1202   SurfaceME.inf  

    SAM      88.1081.257.0 SurfaceSAM.inf 

    Touch    1.0.0.0       SurfaceTouch.inf

    UEFI     88.1085.768.0 SurfaceUEFI.inf

    So YES you have the latest running.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-02-22T09:21:42+00:00

    Question is did my firmware actually install properly? Judging by driver dates and the fact that sleep is still broken, I don't think so.

    To see the actual firmware version (not the driver version), shutdown the system, then press power+vol up to enter System UEFI. There you can see the firmware version.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-02-21T04:52:17+00:00

    I downloaded the latest .msi (SurfaceBook_Win10_160400_2.msi) from the microsoft site.

    After the download completes you get a corrupted signature error and you are prompted to delete the file (you might want to fix this).

    I did not delete the file and instead installed it (bypassing warnings from the OS as the signature is bad).  It installed successfully and I rebooted.  However this did not resolve the problem.  In device manager for all the new firmware updates I still get:

    "This device cannot start. (Code 10)

    Indicates a revision number encountered or specified is not one known by the service. It may be a more recent revision than the service is aware of."

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-02-19T08:26:38+00:00

    According to my understandings, the firmware is the actual embedded code loaded onto the chips, the driver is the software .SYS or .DLL that handles the communication between the x86 system and the external chips. Thus, the firmware version must match the driver version, otherwise the device won't work. 

    I had a guess that in Device Manager, it is the driver version shown. And in the boot-up UEFI screen (press power and vol+ to power on the device, but not hold too long), it is the actual firmware version shown. 

    When you roll-back driver in Device Manager, the firmware is not touched. According to the official surface book update history page:

    • Firmware updates cannot be uninstalled or reverted to an earlier version.

    Can you please check both the driver version and the firmware version? See if they match?

    Can somebody from MS confirm (or correct) my guesses?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments