2/17 firmware update installed, but when I look in Device Manager in the firmware section, I get Code 10

Anonymous
2016-02-20T02:36:42+00:00

Split from this thread.

You may THINK that you have the updates installed but you may NOT:

BUT:

I tried reboots, re-installs, and everything else, but the updates fail to start.

Surface | Surface Book | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-02-21T12:18:28+00:00

    I had a similar issue on one of my SP4.

    Here is how I resolved it.

    Go to the Device Manager and click each item with the yellow alert.

    Press the delete key or click and Remove the device.

    Close the Device Manager and reboot the machine.

    The firmware update will restart and the devices will be reinstalled.

    This worked for me hopefully it does for you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-01T14:54:46+00:00

    Hi Greg,

    Is this issue still on yours or Microsoft's radar?

    Thank you for your support.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-02-21T13:34:32+00:00

    Wow, thanks HScotte. It fixed my issues. To be honest, it sounds a bit scary at first.

    To fix it, I use these steps:

    • Open Device Manager
    • Right-click on one of the problematic device, click Uninstall
      • Did not check the "delete driver" checkbox
    • Click "Scan for hardware changes" on top
    • The device comeback but still got an exclamation mark over it
    • Reboot

    Then on reboot, I see the "Please wait while we install a system update".

    Wait a minute or two. It boot back into Windows with the device fixed.

    I did that one-by-one and after 3 reboots, everything is back to normal.

    Thanks again for the tip!

    p.s. when the driver install or reinstall, it set a scheduled job on next reboot to install its firmware, so we are simply forcing it to retry the firmware update

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-02-19T04:38:03+00:00

    Split from this thread.

    Are you sure the firmware updates installed successfully?  Mine reports a firmware update installed, but when I look in Device Manager in the firmware section, I get:

    "This device cannot start. (Code 10)

    Indicates a revision number encountered or specified is not one known by the service. It may be a more recent revision than the service is aware of."

    No way to fix this.  I tried, reboots, re-installs, hard boots, manual firmware installs, downloading the MSI and zip files.... nada.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-01-30T19:11:45+00:00

    Split from this thread.

    I got the firmware update via Windows Update.  However it fails to install. In device manager I get:

    Surface Embedded Controller Firmware 88.899.256.0

    "This device cannot start. (Code 10)

    Indicates a revision number encountered or specified is not one known by the service. It may be a more recent revision than the service is aware of."

    When I boot into the bios config screen, I see that it is actually running 88.855.257.0 (the previous version).  When I reboot, it tries to install something but fails and boots into the previous EC bios.

    Any suggestions?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments