Surface Laptop 3 display turns off when the brightness is at lowest setting

Anonymous
2019-11-27T23:49:06+00:00

The laptop works fine when the brightness is at any level except the lowest setting. When it's set to low, it'll work for a minute or two, and then the screen turns black. It doesn't go to sleep because I can still hear videos playing in the background and I can pause/resume them using the spacebar, but the screen is completely black. To bring it back, I have to hit the power key to put it to sleep, and then again to wake it back up. 

This is especially annoying because I mainly use the laptop when in bed at night, so I always have it on the lowest brightness.

All software is up to date. Any recommendations?

Surface | Surface Laptop | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-03-27T14:57:04+00:00

Appreciate the confirmation and thank you for reporting this issue.

Update 9/24:

We published new improvements and fixes for Surface Laptop 3 that fix this issue. You can get updates now by checking Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update. We recommend that you install these updates to keep your Surface performing its best.

For more information, please view the Surface Laptop 3 update history page.

Thanks,

Greg

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-02-10T10:34:21+00:00

    Hello. I have the same problem. Only I have a surface laptop3 with an AMD processor. Driver's version. 10.0.18362.1 driver date 4/21/2009. Windows Version 1903 (Os Build 18362.592)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-02-10T10:54:56+00:00

    Hi Nikita,

    I had a ThinkPad with AMD Ryzen 3500U and Vega 6 graphics. AMD has similar feature that changes the contrast based on the display content to save battery too.

    Not sure if the AMD version of Surface Laptop 3 has the AMD Radeon software installed, but if it does, you can try opening AMD Radeon > Preferences > Radeon Additional Settings, see if you can find anything that auto adjust contrast/brightness.

    If you can't find the above, go to Windows 10 Display Settings, and disable "change brightness automatically when lighting changes". However, you will have to use the shortcut keys to manually adjust brightness under different lighting condition.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-02-10T11:08:30+00:00

    AMD Radeon software is unfortunately not installed. I'll try to install it in manual. but I think this problem needs to be solved on the side of Microsoft AMD and Intel.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-02-15T21:23:13+00:00

    Hi Nikita Tarasov,

    In regards to your inquiry about laptop brightness, I do apologize for letting you do those troubleshooting steps. It is actually normal that the brightness decreases when you're in a dark environment and it increases when there's so much light so you can still see what's on the screen. This is what normally happens to my device as well. I really do apologize that misunderstood your post.

    Kind Regards,

    Crest_Z

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments