Surface Laptop 3 display turns off when the brightness is at lowest setting

Anonymous
2019-11-27T23:49:06+00:00

The laptop works fine when the brightness is at any level except the lowest setting. When it's set to low, it'll work for a minute or two, and then the screen turns black. It doesn't go to sleep because I can still hear videos playing in the background and I can pause/resume them using the spacebar, but the screen is completely black. To bring it back, I have to hit the power key to put it to sleep, and then again to wake it back up. 

This is especially annoying because I mainly use the laptop when in bed at night, so I always have it on the lowest brightness.

All software is up to date. Any recommendations?

Surface | Surface Laptop | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-03-27T14:57:04+00:00

Appreciate the confirmation and thank you for reporting this issue.

Update 9/24:

We published new improvements and fixes for Surface Laptop 3 that fix this issue. You can get updates now by checking Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update. We recommend that you install these updates to keep your Surface performing its best.

For more information, please view the Surface Laptop 3 update history page.

Thanks,

Greg

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-12-18T10:06:55+00:00

    Hi,

    I have sent 2 surface laptops back to microsoft because of this issue. When I called the support they told me they had never heard of this issue. Glad someone found a way to solve it. I was about to order a macbook maybe i'll order a surface for the third time instead.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-12-18T22:51:33+00:00

    maur094,

    This is an interesting find, thank you for reporting it. I'm curious about the minimum brightness setting required to cause this problem. If you leave the Display Power Savings option on, but slide the screen brightness slider to 1 instead of 0, does it still happen?

    Thanks,

    Greg

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-12-22T06:09:40+00:00

    Greg,

    I just tried it on a brightness level of 1 and used the laptop for 15 minutes with no problems. I then changed the brightness to 0 and within 10 seconds the display shut off like before. It seems to only happen at the lowest brightness setting.

    Let me know if you want me to try anything else!

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-12-27T19:27:24+00:00

    I have exactly the same problem with the Surface Laptop 3. Today I have worked all day on the docking station without any problems. Now without a docking station and the screen goes black twice. Closing and opening the lid solves the problem. The keyboard will continue to work. In the event log I see a huge amount of events the moment it happens.

    System Log:

    Source: SurfaceTconDriver Event ID: 13: Message: Surface Tcon Driver TP Read fails, Status = 0xc0000186

    Source: SurfaceTconDriver Event ID: 13: Message: Surface Tcon Driver TP Write fails, Status = 0xc0000186

    Application Log:

    Source: SurfaceOemPanel: Event ID 513: Message: The description for Event ID 513 from source SurfaceOemPanel cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

    If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event. The following information was included with the event:

    Hereby the specifications of my device

    Windows 10 Enterprise 1909 (18363.535)

    No Bluetooth devices connected

    Connected to Wireless LAN

    Battery level 95%

    I will give 8gigLiam advice a try, i did not install the Intel Control Panel, but turned of the option: Change brightness automatically when lighting changes. Under Display (In new Control Panel - System

    • Display). I will update next week the experience of this change.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments