Surface Laptop 3 display turns off when the brightness is at lowest setting

Anonymous
2019-11-27T23:49:06+00:00

The laptop works fine when the brightness is at any level except the lowest setting. When it's set to low, it'll work for a minute or two, and then the screen turns black. It doesn't go to sleep because I can still hear videos playing in the background and I can pause/resume them using the spacebar, but the screen is completely black. To bring it back, I have to hit the power key to put it to sleep, and then again to wake it back up. 

This is especially annoying because I mainly use the laptop when in bed at night, so I always have it on the lowest brightness.

All software is up to date. Any recommendations?

Surface | Surface Laptop | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-03-27T14:57:04+00:00

Appreciate the confirmation and thank you for reporting this issue.

Update 9/24:

We published new improvements and fixes for Surface Laptop 3 that fix this issue. You can get updates now by checking Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update. We recommend that you install these updates to keep your Surface performing its best.

For more information, please view the Surface Laptop 3 update history page.

Thanks,

Greg

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-12-10T09:26:26+00:00

    Hi, I own a Surface Laptop 3 13.5 too. I have the same problem here. Could you explain me step by step what you did ? It doesnt work for me, but I don't know if I'm doing the right thing !

    Install the intel app from MS store.  Go to system, power, then disable Display Power Savings.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-12-12T11:59:29+00:00

    Same here it only happens when my brightness is low. There is no way to turn it back on other than hitting the power button.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-12-13T19:19:13+00:00

    Hello there, Pooja13, AlexandreMatos1, and DylanAndrew!

    Thanks for sharing what you are experiencing and apologize for the late response. We are truly sorry for the troubles you encountered with the display on your Surface Laptop 3. 

    This is not how the device is designed. As you mentioned, it happens when on battery power. This may have something to do with Intel Display Power Saving Technology (DPST) that is implemented to reduce battery consumption by reducing backlight brightness while maintain device power and visual performance.

    Kindly plug in your charger to the device or change the power mode slider to “Best Performance”.

    Let me know how it goes.

    Regards,

    Janette_Z

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-12-18T03:26:57+00:00

    Changing the setting to best performance did not work. On the lowest brightness setting it still changes background light.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments