Surface Laptop 3 display turns off when the brightness is at lowest setting

Anonymous
2019-11-27T23:49:06+00:00

The laptop works fine when the brightness is at any level except the lowest setting. When it's set to low, it'll work for a minute or two, and then the screen turns black. It doesn't go to sleep because I can still hear videos playing in the background and I can pause/resume them using the spacebar, but the screen is completely black. To bring it back, I have to hit the power key to put it to sleep, and then again to wake it back up. 

This is especially annoying because I mainly use the laptop when in bed at night, so I always have it on the lowest brightness.

All software is up to date. Any recommendations?

Surface | Surface Laptop | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-03-27T14:57:04+00:00

Appreciate the confirmation and thank you for reporting this issue.

Update 9/24:

We published new improvements and fixes for Surface Laptop 3 that fix this issue. You can get updates now by checking Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update. We recommend that you install these updates to keep your Surface performing its best.

For more information, please view the Surface Laptop 3 update history page.

Thanks,

Greg

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-11-30T09:57:59+00:00

    Hi, I own a Surface Laptop 3 13.5" as well and it appears that this is a bug. When I would lower the brightness to the lowest setting, there would be a noisy buzzing sound coming from the laptop, and then the backlight would turn off completely after 10-15 seconds (you could still just barely see the screen still on). Disabling the power saving option in the Intel graphics command center worked for me and the buzz is gone and the display doesnt turn off. Hope I haven't damaged my device as that sound was quite concerning.

    Thanks to the original poster for finding this solution!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-11-30T23:56:02+00:00

    In the middle of usage, with battery at 60%, the screen on my surface 3 laptop went black. The back-lit keyboard, however was still on. Closing the lid and reopening it seemed to solve the issue for a moment, but it happened a second time only a couple of seconds later. 

    What can be done to prevent this and what would have caused this? 

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-12-01T00:14:36+00:00

    Hi. I had an issue similar to this when I first got the laptop. My screen randomly went black for no reason.

    I ended up downloading the "intel iris graphics control panel" then went to power settings in the control panel and d isabled "display power saving technology".

    Hope this helps!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-12-03T02:09:32+00:00

    Hi, I own a Surface Laptop 3 13.5 too. I have the same problem here. Could you explain me step by step what you did ? It doesnt work for me, but I don't know if I'm doing the right thing !

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments